Free Agent Adrian Peterson

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
As a Vikings fan, this needed to be done. Adrian is my second favorite Viking of all time, but there is no reason to hinder the rest of the franchises moves this off season because we have to pay him for more than he is worth to keep him in Minnesota. I more than the next guy wanted him to finish in the purple, but that's football. As long as the front office makes solid choices and free agent acquisitions, this is the smart choice for this franchise, no doubt.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
As a Vikings fan, this needed to be done. Adrian is my second favorite Viking of all time, but there is no reason to hinder the rest of the franchises moves this off season because we have to pay him for more than he is worth to keep him in Minnesota. I more than the next guy wanted him to finish in the purple, but that's football. As long as the front office makes solid choices and free agent acquisitions, this is the smart choice for this franchise, no doubt.

And it doesnt close the door on a possible return to MN for Peterson. If he comes back it will be on a restructured deal.

I dont think he will have interest in coming back though, which is fine by me. Sign Riley Reiff and draft OL with your 2nd and 3rd round picks.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Watch the Packers make a run at him now and let Lacy go.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
And it doesnt close the door on a possible return to MN for Peterson. If he comes back it will be on a restructured deal.

I dont think he will have interest in coming back though, which is fine by me. Sign Riley Reiff and draft OL with your 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Yeah I read an article by Gossling saying that some people within the Vikings were pushing hard to restructure a incentive-based deal, which would basically give the Vikings the best situation possible. I just think AD's agent is going to be a little ***** and make sure he goes where the money is.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I could see that as well.
I guess I just hope it isn't the Packers. I asked my buddy if he wanted AP, because there were rumors, and he said hell no because he wanted to ride out Ty Montgomery.

Giants just seem like he would be a fit for what their prototypical running back has always been.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Giants just seem like he would be a fit for what their prototypical running back has always been.

Agree. And they are more likely to over pay for what he is worth. It's a long shot, but he may end up in Houston.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sad to see him go, but this needed to happen. Too much coin tied up in a position that just doesn't demand it anymore. Vikes need to be thrifty with their salary cap, and it just doesn't make sense to pay that kind of money to him. Hopefully, he finds a new home where he's happy, even if it's with the Packers.

• Agree
Reactions: AgronAlum

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I heard a twitter rumor that the Giants were kicking the tires on AP. They cut their starting running back earlier in the off season. The Vikings fan in me hates the idea of AP in Green...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not a Vikings fan here, but sad not to see the best running back of his generation go out with the team that made him a legend in purple and the fan base that loves him.

I hope he has a good second act or Indian summer somewhere else, though. Heck, there is a world where he could still run down Sweetness, but not Emmitt...

Peterson = 11,747
Payton = 16,726
Smith = 18,355

Peterson is going into his age 32 season, though Smith had 3,189 yards in his age 32 season and above until he retired (in Phoenix, for some awful reason).

That puts Peterson on the ragged edge of Payton. If there was a physical freak who could do it, it is him, so at least it gives him something to shoot for.

Still amusing the biggest accomplishment of the 2006 ISU football squad was breaking Adrian Peterson's collar bone in Norman and forcing him into the draft. :p

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I could see the Bucs entertaining the notion of signing Peterson only to then drop out of the running late in the process due to not wanting to dish the salary he is demanding.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I heard a twitter rumor that the Giants were kicking the tires on AP. They cut their starting running back earlier in the off season. The Vikings fan in me hates the idea of AP in Green...

I don't fear AP in Green Bay. What is AP's biggest weakness? Pass Blocking. What is any Green Bay RB going to be asked to do with huge regularity? Pass Block. Also, AP doesn't catch the ball out of the backfield very well, something that is a big part of the Green Bay offense as well. I'm not saying he won't go there, just that his impact isn't likely to be anything giant, just because of the way the team plays.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Not a Vikings fan here, but sad not to see the best running back of his generation go out with the team that made him a legend in purple and the fan base that loves him.

I hope he has a good second act or Indian summer somewhere else, though. Heck, there is a world where he could still run down Sweetness, but not Emmitt...

Peterson = 11,747
Payton = 16,726
Smith = 18,355

Impressive considering he has missed damn near full season in both 2013 and 2016.

• Agree
Reactions: dcorbatt