Friday OT #2 - You Fall, And You Crawl, And You Break

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I guess except for the detectives that finally crack the case, the film Psycho doesn't have anyone that's all that likeable.

Marion didn't necessarily need to die but she was up to no good from the start.

• Agree
Reactions: 20eyes and Angie

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Nothing to add to the topic but I will now have Avril Lavigne stuck in my head all day, and I'm totally ok with that!

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What other examples can you think of? What movies can you think of where you don't truly like ANYONE?
My wife couldn't make it thru American History X.

Also, I'm gonna give you an idea @Angie and flip your topic around 180. What's a movie where you like the whole cast and they're all **** heads?
I'll go with Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Also, I'm gonna give you an idea @Angie and flip your topic around 180. What's a movie where you like the whole cast and they're all **** heads?

American History X is tough to watch, but such a damn good movie.
And Lock Stock is fantastic as well.

I'll add a very similar movie in Snatch. They could basically be sequels

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Breaking Bad.

Requiem for a Dream

By the end of How I Met Your Mother, the only character I could stand was the dead mother

Requiem is a great movie. My wife hasn't seen it, and I can't bring myself to suggest it, because it is all kinds of ****** up.

And HIMYM should have been a 5 season show, with a whole season about Ted and his wife with the last few episodes being about her death and his new relationship with Aunt Robin.

A perfect case of spreading a good show out over way too many seasons. The characters all become caricatures of their original selves and it becomes less enjoyable every season it stretches. Case in point, the entire last season was about a wedding, and the last episode concluded that by off handedly saying, "Oh yeah, they divorced right away." FFS
I watched the last few seasons because I really wanted to know how it ended, but there was a lot of eye rolling.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I watched I Care A Lot last week on Netflix with Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, and Dianne Wiest - and it was one of those complex movies where there is really no character for whom you root. No likeable protagonist OR antagonist (which is the point).

I was trying to think of a list of movies who have pretty well zero likeable characters, and was wondering what others people had. Another really clear example of this that I had was A Clockwork Orange - fantastic performances, but the droogs are purposely awful people.

What other examples can you think of? What movies can you think of where you don't truly like ANYONE?

EDIT - Feel free to also include shows!
I watched that few days ago and was mad up until about the last minute. The likeable person is the dude from the hangover movies who wanted to see his mom. I cheered him on.

Last edited:
  • Winner

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Ooh, I like it - I hate to ask, is there any way you could copy/paste this and PM it to me?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Keeping up with the Kardashians.
The Bachelor
Big Brother
Jersey Shore
Any reality show.

tenor.gif