Garage Floor Epoxy

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have heard hot tires can sometimes bring up the paint but in the 6 years I used the Rustoleum kits I've never had that problem. I've had SUV's, sports cars, motorcycles, etc. and no problems with any. Each time I did it the concrete was less than 3 months old. I don't know if that would make a difference besides the fact that it was pretty clean.

BTW-I put in the caulk in a few days before applying the epoxy and then just painted over it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Do the professionals/contractors who apply this stuff provide any kind of a warranty that's worthwhile? Maybe that's where the cost difference is - quality of product up front and warranty for X years?

I think they do but be warned about something in advance.

We had friends that paid $1,500 to do their 4 car garage (2 different garages) and the people who applied it messed up so they came back out to fix it. You can tell exactly where they tried to cover it up. IMO the only way to fix the problem is to apply a 2nd coat to the whole garage otherwise you'll get a color mismatch.

One thing people do get confused about is traction. I don't find that you get any better traction in the garage than normal cement. I think the flakes do a little but are more for decoration purposes.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Do the professionals/contractors who apply this stuff provide any kind of a warranty that's worthwhile? Maybe that's where the cost difference is - quality of product up front and warranty for X years?

Absolute Garage in DSM told me it would be good for 20yrs if you used them. They use an industrial grade product and use the same stuff for floors at car dealerships (they said they just did the KIA dealership) as well as some other major businesses. Problem is you are looking at $2500 - $3000 for them vs $150 for the kits from Lowes to do a 3 stall garage.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Absolute Garage in DSM told me it would be good for 20yrs if you used them. They use an industrial grade product and use the same stuff for floors at car dealerships (they said they just did the KIA dealership) as well as some other major businesses. Problem is you are looking at $2500 - $3000 for them vs $150 for the kits from Lowes to do a 3 stall garage.

I do some stupid things but there is no way I would spend that much money on a garage floor. If I was going to spend that much money I think I would get something like this.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11038308&search=garage&Mo=36&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search〈=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=garage&Ntt=garage&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

4126DSC00355-med.JPG

Last edited:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
One thing people do get confused about is traction. I don't find that you get any better traction in the garage than normal cement. I think the flakes do a little but are more for decoration purposes.

The kit I got came with a bag of fine sand that you poured into the paint can and mixed it before you applied it. But the traction isn't so much for traction of vehicles but non slip to keep people from slipping on a wet floor. That stuff works pretty well. I will say that for it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

They actually do those types of floors too....check it out:

Absolute Garage - Your garage organizer in Des Moines, Iowa

My wife doesn't like the checkerboard however.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
They actually do those types of floors too....check it out:

Absolute Garage - Your garage organizer in Des Moines, Iowa

My wife doesn't like the checkerboard however.

You can get it in one solid color. Also, RaceDeck(what absulute garage carries) is more expensive than the stuff at Costco but both are made by the same supplier.

Even with the Costco discount you're still talking $2,500 for a 3 car garage. A little too much money for this guy.

Last edited:

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
We did ours last year. Followed all directions. We have places that are coming up already... Anyone reparied their chips in the epoxy that has good suggestions?

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
If you have had chips in the epoxy that you put down, how did you repair it? Could you not understand because there was a spelling error?

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa
So how clean does the floor have to be? My concrete is about 10 years old and part of my driveway is gravel, so I'm always tracking in grit. Would I need a pressure washer? Also anyone have any experience with leveling compounds for concrete? I have a few low spots and would like to make water inclined (pun intended) to leave.:sad:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you have had chips in the epoxy that you put down, how did you repair it? Could you not understand because there was a spelling error?

No, I wasn't trying to be an *** I just didn't understand. So is it the actual paint coming up or the chips themselves? I never mixed the chips with the paint. I just threw the chips on top of the paint and they dried. None have come up.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So how clean does the floor have to be? My concrete is about 10 years old and part of my driveway is gravel, so I'm always tracking in grit. Would I need a pressure washer? Also anyone have any experience with leveling compounds for concrete? I have a few low spots and would like to make water inclined (pun intended) to leave.:sad:

It sounds to me like a lot more people are having problems with these kits than I thought. Both times I used it on new concrete but I still used the acid cleaner that's included in the kit.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
No, I wasn't trying to be an *** I just didn't understand. So is it the actual paint coming up or the chips themselves? I never mixed the chips with the paint. I just threw the chips on top of the paint and they dried. None have come up.

Paint has come up. I can see bare concrete patches.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Paint has come up. I can see bare concrete patches.

Only thing I can tell you is that I had one spot that didn't look right (my fault) and I tried to apply another coat over that patch and it ended up being darker than the rest of the garage floor. Since you're putting it on bare concrete you shouldn't have that problem. I would probably put tape around that spot so you don't paint over top of the old paint.

Just for reference, is this underneath the tires of the car?

BTW-If you used one of the kits and just need the sprinkles, I may have an extra bag. Just let me know and I'll check.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
We epoxy coated our floor shortly after moving into it brand new. We used the rustoleum kits from Menard's. Followed all the directions, but still have spots that have come up as well. I also got a little carried away with the sprinkles (put it on too thick), so that may have caused some of the problems. I'm curious how easy it is to put another coating on top or if it will stick very well?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We epoxy coated our floor shortly after moving into it brand new. We used the rustoleum kits from Menard's. Followed all the directions, but still have spots that have come up as well. I also got a little carried away with the sprinkles (put it on too thick), so that may have caused some of the problems. I'm curious how easy it is to put another coating on top or if it will stick very well?

Like I said earlier, I tried to paint over a spot that I messed up and here is what it looks like. I should have just left it.

IMG_1621.jpg