Getting respect from Mississippi St. writer

• Thread starter Deleted member 8507
  • Start date

DesMoinesCy

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
We have a very good nucleus coming back, even with the unexpected losses of players after the season.

We also have a highly-ranked recruiting class coming in. With the talent coming back and a couple of key contributions from the recruiting class, Iowa State might be in contention for a top four finish in an always-tough Big XII conference.

D

Deleted member 8507

We have a very good nucleus coming back, even with the unexpected losses of players after the season.

We also have a highly-ranked recruiting class coming in. With the talent coming back and a couple of key contributions from the recruiting class, Iowa State might be in contention for a top four finish in an always-tough Big XII conference.

Agreed. I am stoked for next year and beyond. Just surprised they are mentioned to start the season. I thought it would be a wait and see if they prove it before getting the respect. He might not know Jada is moving on too if he only looked at eligibility status.

DesMoinesCy

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
The writer may have been looking more at the nucleus of Carleton, Durr and Burkhall in addition to some of the stud recruits coming in. That trio has produced at a high level against some very good teams.

Iowa State's incoming recruiting class has been rated the top recruiting class in the nation by at least one publication, but it is still to be determined how much they will contribute early. I am more excited right now about the growth potential of our three returning starters.

Reactions: BenEClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Since he didn't talk about any but his top 5 teams I am guessing he didn't get into much depth on his listings below that. Might have as much to do with only seeing us play once last year, when Mississippi State came to Ames. We played a terrific game and looked like world beaters except we couldn't hang on for the win. We looked like a Top 25 team in that game but later showed we were not.

On paper we have the potential (IMHO) to be pretty good by the 2nd half of conference play but a jump from a RPI of 60 to Top 25 is a little kool aid driven. Will be fun to watch. We should know who the stars will be early on. I think the 2018-19 season might be better with 2017-18 being similar to recent years with some growing pains. We lose only Durr to graduation after next season.

Reactions: runbikeswim

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Since he didn't talk about any but his top 5 teams I am guessing he didn't get into much depth on his listings below that. Might have as much to do with only seeing us play once last year, when Mississippi State came to Ames. We played a terrific game and looked like world beaters except we couldn't hang on for the win. We looked like a Top 25 team in that game but later showed we were not.

On paper we have the potential (IMHO) to be pretty good by the 2nd half of conference play but a jump from a RPI of 60 to Top 25 is a little kool aid driven. Will be fun to watch. We should know who the stars will be early on. I think the 2018-19 season might be better with 2017-18 being similar to recent years with some growing pains. We lose only Durr to graduation after next season.
I believe the loss of Buckley to be more significant than others apparently. You referenced the Miss State game - that game was close because of Jadda's performance.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I believe the loss of Buckley to be more significant than others apparently. You referenced the Miss State game - that game was close because of Jadda's performance.

44 minutes on the court and 11 assists, she was okay. ;)

Someone will need to step up at point. Maybe someone will, maybe someone will not. Will make for an interesting non-conference, more so than most years. Might have to pop down for the Iowa game.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
We have heard how talented the four coming in are. Are they enough to replace the four that left? Time will tell.

Too many variables to speculate I'd say.

One thing, we are getting a foot taller (4 inches x 3) for next year, 6 4, 6 2, 6 1, and 5 8, replacing 6 0, 5 10, 5 9, and 5 8 . :)

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
This guy saw Miss St. play in Hilton this year, a game that the Cyclone should have definitely won.

He probably is going off of that, the fact that ISU had Derr and Carleton combine for 30, and the recruiting class coming in.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I agree with you. I was really fired up for next season. When Jadda left it discouraged me. Whatever our record ends up being, I think Jadda would add 4-5 to the total.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm still very high on next year's team. Losing Jadda hurt, yes, but overall this will be a much more well rounded team than over the past couple of years. You can't replace someone like Jadda (experience), but we have exceptional talent coming in and capable players (Durr for example) that can play point. We have a bonafide post player now and that frees up Mere to be in her more natural position (forward). The transition from high school to college is always big, but these are some salty players coming in.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'm still very high on next year's team. Losing Jadda hurt, yes, but overall this will be a much more well rounded team than over the past couple of years. You can't replace someone like Jadda (experience), but we have exceptional talent coming in and capable players (Durr for example) that can play point. We have a bonafide post player now and that frees up Mere to be in her more natural position (forward). The transition from high school to college is always big, but these are some salty players coming in.
I don't see Durr as capable of playing point guard against anybody that exerts pressure on the ball. Hope I am wrong.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I don't see Durr as capable of playing point guard against anybody that exerts pressure on the ball. Hope I am wrong.

My hunch is it will be by committee next year, depending on match-ups, time on court, etc.

For sure, Emily and Nia will get turns at bringing the ball up and starting the offense, and maybe Rae too. Heck, maybe even Bridget gets a few turns at it.

Emily, Bridget, and Mere will start, Bride and Madison will likely see the most playing time of the newcomers, based on what we have heard. The rest is up for grabs.

In the post, I don't think BF will have both Mere and Bride start as he will be concerned about foul trouble at the post to start the game, and more together in the 2nd half if fouls aren't a concern. Maybe he starts both, but pulls one if they get a quick foul. I keep hoping Claire develops, she is really strong. And we will see how quickly Kristin can adapt. But if both Mere and Bride are in foul trouble....depth is a concern.

Mere gets 25-30+/- minutes, Bride probably 25-30 +/-, so we will probably see them together 10-15 minutes or so a game.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines

I don't know how you can be so high on next year's team. This year's team, by BFs on admission, was comprised of the "Big 3". They were the only players that we had on a consistent basis - again BFs words. Losing one was going to be hard enough - but now we lost two of the three...

I like Durr, I really do... but she has been soooo inconsistent in her play. She was not seeing much time as a junior for a team that was struggling last year. Granted she did start to get her time after BF realized that TT was really not good. Point being - She has not shown us anything that should give us hope that she will be a high level Big 12 player next year.

We can all hope that Nia makes some huge strides and is able to get some minutes at the point. She certainly did not show much in the minutes that she did get last year.

The loss of Jadda is HUGE! We have supposedly a very good recruiting class coming in. However, how many times have we seen freshman come in and thrive for Iowa State? It is few and far between. It would have been a much better outlook to have two of the big three coming back.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
However, how many times have we seen freshman come in and thrive for Iowa State? It is few and far between. It would have been a much better outlook to have two of the big three coming back.

Our best players have mostly come in and started from the get go. Johnson, Buckley and Carleton started immediately. I would be surprised if at least one of the incoming freshman didn't start. You don't get a Top 50 recruit like Wise and have her sit on the bench. Bride will play a lot based on need alone even if she doesn't end up meeting all of the hype. We need a wing and PG and that's Wise and Johnson. Rae Johnson is college ready and a solid kid that is not going to get pushed around in college play. Scott is more of a wildcard to me, both Johnson and Scott committed so early they kinda got ignored by the recruiting sites. Johnson got more recognition. Each member of the incoming class was rated higher than any of the kids who signed on for 2016.

Not saying we are going to be a great team but we will be decent. I am thinking 9-9 or so and middle of the pack with a chance to be better if a couple of the newcomers excel. If next year goes well I'll be more prone to drinking some kool aid regarding 2018-19 (assuming I am still around for it).

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Our best players have mostly come in started from the get go.

Agreed.

ISU's members of the all-freshman team since 2008:
Bolte
Prins
Christofferson
Johnson
Buckley
Carleton

The most notable ISU players in that timeframe who didn't get that honor still performed well enough as freshmen to get consideration for it:
Poppens (started nearly every game and had 8.8ppg / 7.2rpg)
Moody (started nearly every game and scored 10.0 ppg)

Brynn Williamson was the only ISU player in that timeframe to make an all-conference team (she was HM in 2015) and not have an all-freshman-team-caliber impact as a freshman. And she still started seven games as a freshman and scored 6.0 ppg.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The loss of Jadda is HUGE! We have supposedly a very good recruiting class coming in. However, how many times have we seen freshman come in and thrive for Iowa State? It is few and far between. It would have been a much better outlook to have two of the big three coming back.
Can't understand those who are minimizing Jadda leaving early. It's unfair for anyone to "expect" freshman to play important roles in the team's success. If they do, fine, but those are rare. As our PG, Buckley was our main ball handler against presses, best defensive player, one of our few who could match up against "speed" teams, by far our assist leader, and perhaps her most irreplaceable attribute: the ability to dribble left or right (none of our other guards can do that).

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Our best players have mostly come in started from the get go. Johnson, Buckley and Carleton started immediately.
I would say the pressure at point guard is a lot different than being an off-guard, wing or post. Buckley started as a freshman yes, but it was at the 2. She was playing with one of our best PG's ever - Moody. The last freshmen who started at the point - and did well - were Moody and Lyndsey Medders, if I recall correctly.
Again, as I posted already, Buckley had the ability to dribble left or right - it opened up so many things in our offense. Very rare in women's basketball, and hard to replace.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I would say the pressure at point guard is a lot different than being an off-guard, wing or post. Buckley started as a freshman yes, but it was at the 2. She was playing with one of our best PG's ever - Moody. The last freshmen who started at the point - and did well - were Moody and Lyndsey Medders, if I recall correctly.
Again, as I posted already, Buckley had the ability to dribble left or right - it opened up so many things in our offense. Very rare in women's basketball, and hard to replace.

While you may be right, I would hardly call our offense the last two years "open."

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I don't think there isn't any reason to not be optimistic until we see the team on the court playing together.

A lot depends on chemistry and balance. Have a true post player with both height and size in Bride may do more for our offense and defense than is diminished by losing Jadda.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron