Gottlieb to Interview for Okie Lite Job

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Jeff goodman said on a podcast that Boone Pickens doesn't care about basketball and doesn't give any of his money to it. So I doubt he cares who coaches it.

If that's true, that's a **** move. I mean, it's his money and all, but still.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I spoke with Phil Forte II before our game with osu and asked him what he thought of underwood. He said the main difference between him and ford is that the assistant coaching staff was supremely better with underwood. This guy could be a lot better than people expect.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
So the Gottlieb trial balloon Hindenburged with the boosters, huh?

This is the biggest hiring fiasco since BVDV tried replacing LE with cause.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

While I think this guy has some potential for them, at this point, I have to agree. They are in bad shape right now. I do have to wonder though if he's the reason Carroll has said he will come back if he doesn't hear what he wants in the draft test.

Just doesn't look good for them...at all.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

It's almost like they troll Gottlieb every time the HC position comes open. I was really interested to see how he'd do, but I'm glad he's keeping his current gig since he's the only national show that ever says anything good about the B12.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Perusing the Okie State message boards, and the first response on one basically says what I initially thought, and has double digit "likes". They don't know anything about him either, and so far in my perusing...are underwhelmed.

Last edited:

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
They are in full meltdown mode. No idea if this is a legit account or not, but if it is...wow. No coaching experience though...

Gottlieb would have probably been better than this, but Mason laying it down.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Jeff goodman said on a podcast that Boone Pickens doesn't care about basketball and doesn't give any of his money to it. So I doubt he cares who coaches it.

In this era of B12 TV money middle of the pack Big 12 money shouldn't be and issue. Especially with a booster like T-Boone who takes care of the more expensive football side.
The issue with promoting Underwood's assistant isn't whether he is good or not but the perception the Athletic Department doesn't care about basketball. This won't stimulate fan attendance or national attention and with the losses in talent they are having, not to mention possible more attrition the program is in a bad place.
Not sure any coach let alone a first timer will be able to.

• Agree
Reactions: enisthemenace

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
They are in full meltdown mode. No idea if this is a legit account or not, but if it is...wow. No coaching experience though...

Gottlieb would have probably been better than this, but Mason laying it down.

LOL at the subtweet of his peeps. Love a little name dropping, myself.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
oSu had a search firm. So, I guess that means the firm, Eddie Fogler's, couldn't find anyone who they thought was an upgrade over Underwood's assistant.

That suggests guys like Crean, Marshall, Miller, etc. had no interest in Stillwater. It really has to be disconcerting for Poke fans.

Fogler's last 'hire' was Vandy's Bryce Drew.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
oSu had a search firm. So, I guess that means the firm, Eddie Fogler's, couldn't find anyone who they thought was an upgrade over Underwood's assistant.

That suggests guys like Crean, Marshall, Miller, etc. had no interest in Stillwater. It really has to be disconcerting for Poke fans.

Boynton is the epitome of a "wait and see" hire. He will have the opportunity to show the fans that thought OSU could do better that he is deserving of being the head coach there. But sometimes, they just don't get the time that they need to prove themselves when they lack the instant credibility of being a "name" hire.

I think it is a smarter hire than Gottlieb, for sure.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It could work. KSU hired one of their assistants named Frank Martin 10 years ago. Hiring an assistant coach for a Power 5 job doesn't work often though.

Spam

May 21, 2008

You'd think they would give it more time if they were having trouble finding someone. The search went by fairly quickly.