NBA: Harden's beef with (ref) Scott Foster

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
The part that gets me is Harden complains how he can't talk to Foster on the court to establish a relationship. I understand its done all the time, but he's complaining how he can't get favorable calls by making friends with the ref.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He pushes off and travels all the time, I do not feel sorry for him.
Did anyone see the game in question? Were any of the fouls he received in this game push off fouls? Does anyone have any knowledge of the previous game after which Harden publicly complained about Foster.

I have opinions on this, but I would rather get information from people who follow the NBA closer than I do.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Did anyone see the game in question? Were any of the fouls he received in this game push off fouls? Does anyone have any knowledge of the previous game after which Harden publicly complained about Foster.

I have opinions on this, but I would rather get information from people who follow the NBA closer than I do.
One was a push off, another was an arm to Rondo's face, and then a few charges. You can see the push off in the first video here https://deadspin.com/the-notoriously-rule-bending-rockets-whined-about-the-r-1832812919 seems like an obvious offensive foul to me.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The part that gets me is Harden complains how he can't talk to Foster on the court to establish a relationship. I understand its done all the time, but he's complaining how he can't get favorable calls by making friends with the ref.

I think it helps a lot for the players to understand what the ref saw, so they can correct it. If the ref won't tell them what they saw when they blew the whistle it just makes the game worse for everyone IMO. It's not to get calls, as much as it is to understand their perspective.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think it helps a lot for the players to understand what the ref saw, so they can correct it. If the ref won't tell them what they saw when they blew the whistle it just makes the game worse for everyone IMO. It's not to get calls, as much as it is to understand their perspective.
True, but in his own words Harden said that "you couldn't voice your opinion". Sure officials can help the game by answering the question What did I do? or What did you see? but when the conversation is just complaining or arguing about the call the conversation should not continue and when every conversation with that player in the game is simply complaining or arguing the calls the official has no reason to engage at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Harden benefits by bending the rules to the tune of 30+ points a game for over 30 games in a row and counting. When you benefit from breaking the rules and avoiding the calls sometimes bending the rules isn't going to work and you have to be prepared to accept the consequences. Perhaps after 3 offensive fouls and and 5 total fouls Mr. Harden should consider adjusting his play to the officiating, i.e. they are going to call the offensive fouls that I am committing so I should stop pushing off.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
True, but in his own words Harden said that "you couldn't voice your opinion". Sure officials can help the game by answering the question What did I do? or What did you see? but when the conversation is just complaining or arguing about the call the conversation should not continue and when every conversation with that player in the game is simply complaining or arguing the calls the official has no reason to engage at all.

It's a fine line for the player and ref. There's nothing wrong with asking a ref about a call or discussing something during a dead ball or play stoppage. And Foster (any ref, for that matter) should be willing to engage with a player if it's done respectfully. But in general most players don't do well toeing that line. It too often gets to the point where a player is badgering a ref or just complaining and not trying to have a constructive conversation.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Harden benefits by bending the rules to the tune of 30+ points a game for over 30 games in a row and counting. When you benefit from breaking the rules and avoiding the calls sometimes bending the rules isn't going to work and you have to be prepared to accept the consequences. Perhaps after 3 offensive fouls and and 5 total fouls Mr. Harden should consider adjusting his play to the officiating, i.e. they are going to call the offensive fouls that I am committing so I should stop pushing off.

But that's what happens in a superstar-driven league. MVP-type players such as Harden have come to expect that they're going to get the calls. And when they don't, this is the kind of stuff that happens.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
But that's what happens in a superstar-driven league. MVP-type players such as Harden have come to expect that they're going to get the calls. And when they don't, this is the kind of stuff that happens.
The true test will be if the League bends to pressure from the media and the Players Association on this.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The true test will be if the League bends to pressure from the media and the Players Association on this.

I don't think they will, at least not publicly. If the league didn't stop assigning Joey Crawford to Spurs games after the Tim Duncan fiasco way back when then I doubt they'll pull Foster off Rockets games now. Sets a bad precedent. My guess is that Harden and Paul will get fined and maybe Foster gets some coaching from the league behind the scenes.