Has Bill Self underachieved in the post season at Kansas?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The last 10 years KU is 27-9 in the NCAA tournament. No first round losses, 5 Elite 8's, 2 Championship games and a NC. I think I would take that every ten years, but every year is different and if they would lose 2nd round this year like they did 2 years ago, that would suck.

That is quite a record, but I'd love to see a breakdown comparing teams with McD AAs on the roster and their NCAA tourney records. They probably go hand in hand.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
KBoo didn't choke as Oregon was simply better but damn that was a beating. Once they face a good team in the tournament odds are that they'll lose. Good thing they have every advantage in the battle of attrition that is the regular season.

At least they're still Big 12 paper champions

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and surly

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
They suffer from the same thing WVU does. They see different officials that actually call fouls.

I feel its the other way. Officials in the tourney don't call fouls like they do in the regular season. Regular season Jhawks drive, and get a foul. In the tourney they don't call anything. Its stupid, but it is.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Oregon just was the better team. Not to mention big 12 refs weren't there to bail them out. It was a fairly officiated game. Loved seeing them lose a defacto home game too!
Maybe the B12 needs to change its policy of assigning officials that bow down to the jhoks (difficult I know), and therefore allowing them to continually dominate the conference, get the best tournament seed, and then fold when playing by the rules.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
A reasonable fan doesn't ever EXPECT a Final Four. Any KU fan who expects a Final Four every year is either A) an idiot or B) not someone who follows the sport or C) both. We expect to have a team capable of getting there.

Maybe U expect a team that gets to the final 4, but not every year....but most jayhawk fans have a lot higher expectations than that my friend...Just read KansasCity.com and what Sam Mellinger had to say re mr Bill I cant win in the Sprint Center Self...it was just brutal...reminds me of the Omaha World Herald after another Nebraska title bowl loss.....

Maybe KU should just leave the big 12 for the big 14 and become the b-ball program they imagine themselves being,

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The officials didn't dictate the flow of game. KU shooting 5 for 25 from deep did. Graham was totally off on wide open 3s and that went along way with doing them in.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Oregon played a great game but I think KU may have let their total dominance over Big Ten champ Purdue go to their head a little. That was definitely the worst I've seen KU shoot the ball this year and it wasn't all from defense, they didn't shoot well on open 3s and easy finishes around the hoop.

Oregon is legit, hard to believe they have a key injury, but I think if KU shoot even 10% below their season average from 3 they'd have got them.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Don't think Self choked this one away - rather think Graham, Jackson and Vick did. Was Bill supposed to shoot for them?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
A lot of people on here equate a poor shooting night to a poorly coached game.

People need to realize that once you get to the tournament, especially past the first round, it has to do with shots going in. It's one thing when you take shots that haven't gone in all year. It's another when good shooters shot poorly like we did and like Graham did. Sure, you can have let downs in the first round but losing in the Sweet 16 has much more to do with who makes shots.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Rumor had it that it was down to Bill or Archie for the Hoosier job...Indiana chose well.

Im not sure passing up the guy who has 13 straight B12 titles is choosing well.

That said, I think this is all ********.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Kansas embarrasses the Big XII once again. Does any major conference have a "blueblood" that chokes more in the post season?

We choked just as much as they did. Why does everyone talk about KU like this when Baylor got run out of the gym and West Virginia lost a game they should have won?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
We choked just as much as they did. Why does everyone talk about KU like this when Baylor got run out of the gym and West Virginia lost a game they should have won?
2 out of 4 1 seeds made the final 4, one more time for KU not being one of them.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Anyone have a Scout sub, I see a thread saying KU needs a new conference lol.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron