NFL: Here we grow again? NFL considering 17th game

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Not a fan. I'm a stat junkie and it's going to throw off single season stats.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
They need to make all the money they can before the work stoppage that will be coming up...

ESPN - NFL owners vote unanimously to opt out of labor deal - NFL

It could happen.

However, I was reading an article about it last week. There are so many "bad" items that come with this opt out that it would be very, very bad for all involved if a new agreement isn't worked out. The owners specifically did that back when the current agreement was formed - in the event there was an opt-out executed - the consequences were so great that it was an almost must to rework the deal - for all sides.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Here's that article...

ESPN - NFL owners could opt out of CBA with union as early as Tuesday - NFL

However, by opting out of the agreement that was struck on March 9, 2006, the NFL would play 2010 without a salary cap, unrestricted free agency for players would be increased from four years to six years and the orderly selection of college players in the annual draft would not exist after 2011. These "poison pills" are designed to motivate both the owners and the union to work toward a new collective bargaining agreement.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I don't know how anyone could complain about MORE NFL. Preseason sucks.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Get it over with. Junk the preseason and play 20 games. Add 10 players to the roster asnd add three more to the taxi. This is Big Business and we need to keep athletes gainfully employed.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't know how anyone could complain about MORE NFL. Preseason sucks.

I love football more than most - but I just can't get overly excited about this. I love the fact that a Week 1 loss has distinct possibility of keeping a team out of the playoffs - or at the very least - a worse seed. In other sports, single games don't have the same meaning as they do in the NFL (and all of football for that matter).

More games get added, the less meaning they have.

I really believe the NFL has it right with a 16 game schedule. However, I think the main goal here is to decrease the pre-season. But if they just do that, they stand to lose a little cash - so - gotta compensate for that somehow, regardless of if it may water the product down a bit or not.

If this takes place, the very next change will be expanding the playoffs...