"He's not the slickest athlete . . ." ?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
During his post-game press con, CPR said this about one of our players. I could not hear the name of the Cyclone he was talking about. Who was it? It was a highly complimentary remark, and I'd sure like to know which one of our guys was the target of the remark.

CPR observation, if I might: For many seasons I was in the room during Hayden Fry's Tuesday press cons, and the man, personality-wise, is a mean dude. Nasty. A true bas-turd. Almost always obfuscatory when responding to interesting questions, frequently he would deliver his non-answers with a high level of rudeness.

Then there's CPR. When, in his post-game press con, he chided a C.R. Gazette reporter for not picking ISU to win the game, he did it good-naturedly, with a slight smile. Appeared to me it was a genuine barb, but it was delivered gracefully, with good-natured teasing. The man is no Fry. Oh, thank the gods for that!

I've never met CPR, but a fellow I know very well is well versed on the sports scene here in the state. His work requires an intimacy with ISU and ui programs, among many other sports venues in the state. I made the comment to him, not long ago, that I suppose CPR behind the scenes is just like any other big-time-program football coach, a jerk. The quick response was no, he's not. He's genuine. What you see is what you have.

Me? If CPR were offered a 20-year contract, I'd be delighted.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I want to say he was talking about Jacques Washington. Trying to remember the context, and I think it was him.

EDIT: Just watched the interview again. Yes, he was talking about Jacques Washington. Mentioned how he's a field general for the defense, and while he's not the "slickest" athlete, he's smart, and when you're smart you may be a for 4.7(40-time presumably) but you play 4.5. It was a nice compliment.

Last edited: