High School Track - Regionals?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Anyone a HS track fan...or generally follow HS sports? Weather is not going to be good for many sites...which really only hurts the girls method of qualifying. I just saw that the Iowa City Regional site is not running until Saturday morning at 10:00.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Anyone a HS track fan...or generally follow HS sports? Weather is not going to be good for many sites...which really only hurts the girls method of qualifying. I just saw that the Iowa City Regional site is not running until Saturday morning at 10:00.

I say if one regional has to be moved to a different time, they all should. It could be cold and wet at one location -- not enough to prevent the meet from happening, but enough to keep the times low. The athletes which compete in better weather would then have the advantage.

CYKXBUT

Jul 21, 2006
Fortunately the one at Mount Pleasant (3A) has also been moved to Saturday morning. I wasn't looking forward to sitting and watching in the rain/hail/lightning that we are getting this afternoon.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I say if one regional has to be moved to a different time, they all should. It could be cold and wet at one location -- not enough to prevent the meet from happening, but enough to keep the times low. The athletes which compete in better weather would then have the advantage.

I agree. I only know the qualifying rules for 4A though and while seed times for next week will be affected by weather...boys aren't impacted by bad weather as much as the girls. In 4A the boys take the top 4 finishers from all 6 districts regardless of their times. Just finish in the top 4 places and you are in. But girls is much more different. Top 2 places get in from each district, and the next best 12 times across the state get in. As you said, weather is a part of the competition but it could impact who gets in and who doesn't.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I think the way they do the girls is a joke. I mean like the 100 some places could run into the wind, some run with it and others run with a cross wind. Is that really fair?

Help Support Us

Become a patron