NBA: Hoiberg - Bulls

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I don't watch much NBA but with little else of interest on, I watched most of the second & third quarters of the
Bulls game last night. Chicago was in control most of that time with leads like 5 - 12 or so throughout; never behind. However, I saw they lost in OT by 2 pts. I'd say that, regardless of where the Bulls finish this year, next year will be a make or break for Hoiberg. In fact, if he should get off to a bad start next year, like winning 1 of 3, he'll be gone as soon as 20 games or so into the season. I have nothing to base this on - only my opinion. But, it doesn't seem to be going too good for him, too bad, but that's the facts of professional sports.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
If he even gets a next year...

The NBA is a ruthless business. If you don't win, the shelf life of an NBA coach is about 2 years.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
It is so bad sport radio 670 the score can even get callers made enough to care about the Bulls. They are basically irrelevant which is not good news. Now that Kraus has passed they are revisiting the glory days which can only makes things worse. The empty scotch glass at Wallabys shakes no more.

• Funny
Reactions: JM4CY

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Hoiberg will be there as long as Gar is there. The second Gar is gone, Hoiberg wont be too far behind.

That being said, the game last night was a textbook "Bulls coached by Hoiberg game". They have made a habit of having a bad quarter which takes a healthy lead and turns it into a loss. The Bulls have no problems beating good teams, but the have a bad habit of losing to really bad teams.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
If he wants to come back to college coaching, he'll get a good job.

My guess if that if NBA coaching doesn't work out, he goes back to the front office.
Would if said the same thing; however, CW had a post here about a week ago saying (I'm paraphrasing) that he has heard Hoiberg wouldn't mind coaching in college again.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
If he wants to come back to college coaching, he'll get a good job.

My guess if that if NBA coaching doesn't work out, he goes back to the front office.

Yep. Or he will take a year off and the coaching itch will come back and he'll be back in college at a mid level college job.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Yep. Or he will take a year off and the coaching itch will come back and he'll be back in college at a mid level college job.

I'm not sure he'd stoop to mid level or even need to. Given his experience, someone in the power conferences would hire him.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
That being said, the game last night was a textbook "Cyclones coached by Hoiberg game". They have made a habit of having a bad quarter which takes a healthy lead and turns it into a loss. The Cyclones have no problems beating good teams, but the have a bad habit of losing to really bad teams.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm not sure he'd stoop to mid level or even need to. Given his experience, someone in the power conferences would hire him.

don't even get the crazies on CF started. hell, people were talking about giving Prohm an extension and some were saying "except if Hoiberg comes back!!"

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Hoiberg will be there as long as Gar is there. The second Gar is gone, Hoiberg wont be too far behind.

That being said, the game last night was a textbook "Bulls coached by Hoiberg game". They have made a habit of having a bad quarter which takes a healthy lead and turns it into a loss. The Bulls have no problems beating good teams, but the have a bad habit of losing to really bad teams.

Yep. Hoiberg is safe as long as GarPax is around. He's their handpicked guy.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

So exactly like his teams here only in reverse. We would have our "bad quarter" at the beginning of the game then have to make a huge comeback to win. The last sentence is the same though. Beat Kansas, turn around and lose at really bad Tech or something stupid like that.

• Agree
Reactions: BBHMagic

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Yep. Hoiberg is safe as long as GarPax is around. He's their handpicked guy.

Job preservation is a helluva thing though. Someone is getting fired in my opinion - front office or coach. And if your in the front office - your loyalty is going away if its you or the coach.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
When I watch most NBA games I struggle to see any coaching impact. There are a handful of teams I see where you see some sort of scheme coming through, but for the most part it seems like 5 dudes doing whatever they want.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Job preservation is a helluva thing though. Someone is getting fired in my opinion - front office or coach. And if your in the front office - your loyalty is going away if its you or the coach.

They hitched their wagon to Hoiberg when they ran off Thibs specifically to hire Fred. They're not going to dump him. If Fred gets fired it'll be because Reinsdorf decided to clean house. Dormant is not going to admit to making a mistake two years into a five year deal.