NBA: Hoiberg - Bulls

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't see him coaching again after he gets fired. And he is getting fired, either this year or next. Jeez, the coverage is just brutal and the media and the players are mocking him.

Don't see other NBA teams offering him and if colleges are smart they will not either. As Cooler noted his disdain for recruiting is a known and his model for winning via transfers is likely unrepeatable. He lead the way in taking chances on multiple transfers and graduate transfers but now everyone is doing it....lots of competition. I am guessing the NCAA will be closing the graduate transfer rules since the kids themselves are taking advantage of it. Nothing the blue bloods and NCAA seems to hate more then the students themselves having any power. The blue bloods can make a joke of schooling with their one-n-dones and special dorms etc but everyone else has rules to follow.

Guessing he ends up back in Minnesota with the Wolves in some capacity. I am not really interested myself in seeing him back at ISU. It looks like Prohm (on paper) has recruited well enough to recover from the HS recruiting hole Hoiberg left us in but if that hadn't worked Hoiberg would have left us in the lower tier of the league after this year.

/end rambled personal hot take

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Does he still get paid if fired?

$25 million for working for a horrible organization for a couple of years...not bad.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Don't see how Hoiberg keeps his job. The team plays as if they don't care. That fourth quarter last night - that reflects on the head coach.
Ya not any excuse for blowing 4th quarter leads like the Bulls have this year.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe. But if he hated the recruiting part of coaching, then I can't imagine he'd be enthralled with the idea of kissing donor ass for money. It sounds odd, but asking for money is a legit skill and it takes a certain type of personality to do it and do it well. I don't think Fred fits the profile.

Is kissing the asses of rich people that love you as bad as dealing with 16 to 18 year olds that may not know who you are and really prefer going to KU?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Is kissing the asses of rich people that love you as bad as dealing with 16 to 18 year olds that may not know who you are and really prefer going to KU?

Neither sounds all that appealing. Either way you're spending a lot of time with your hand out trying to sell something to someone who wants to feel special. I'd take a hard pass on both.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
man...I hope he is ok. Made millions in the NBA as a player. he made a few million at ISU. 25 million coaching a couple years in the NBA.
I knew the point when I saw Butler say "F you" during a game it was over.
He could have any NBA front office job available or college job. He will probably make a few hundred thousand in some front office somewhere after the bulls. The bulls will hire someone else and still suck which points to the front office.
Just sucks because I think he could have had a heck of a 20 year run at ISU. But I get it.

I just don't want to see him take another college job and turn it into some instant blueblood.
aka Illinois.

• Agree
Reactions: NetflixAndClone

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Hoiberg is part of the NBA head coaching fraternity now so he'll probably get fired and then hired by another NBA team. They seem to just recycle coaches. Look at Hornacek. He had a weak roster and a below avaerage record at Phoenix. Management made him the fall guy ignoring the fact that it was their bad personnel decisions that led to a bad team. One year later he gets snatched up by the Knicks even though his W/L record as a head coach was not very good.