Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I don't have any input on your situation, but we just bought a house in Marshalltown last July and we're going to likely be selling it later this year to get back to the Des Moines area. We've already dropped $10k (new windows in the br's, new light fixtures, new fridge) in the house and just begun the painting process (the place is/was a throw back to the early 90's). We bought the house for $113k and hoping to get $125k for it when we sell. I'm getting a bit concerned that Fisher's continued struggles are going to make selling tough, though.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You can get programs much higher than 33% of your gross pay.

25% of take home pay??? Ahhh.....sometimes I miss the homeland

The 25% has worked for us in the two homes we've purchased. It's conservative but I don't mind it. Usually translates into a solid house in a good neighborhood, but one that needs updating. I also have only lived in Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota. So, that rule may be tougher to get by with in more expensive parts of the country.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Put an offer in on the house being built, contingent you sell your house. Sell your house by owner and save on the commission. If it sells, make the switch - if it doesn't sell, keep the house and lose out on the new one.

Flip side, now you just disclosed everything that is wrong with your current house and no one on CF will buy it

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My niece has a similar situation, her house makes even less sense than yours. Two bedrooms up, master on first floor that has one of those great rooms that isn't very great, with not a ton of space and a high ceiling, and a nice furnished basement with a roomy family room that is freezing. She has a toddler and a baby in the two upstairs rooms, and spends most of her life going up and down the stairs. House would be so much nicer with a full second floor instead of that energy and room sucking high ceiling great room.

But to your problem, I guess I would maybe put out feelers on how difficult it would be to sell your house before you decide. If that is going to be difficult, might as well keep it and fix it.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Oh, the other thing I meant to mention is that when it comes time to sell, I'm going to look at using FSBO. It's basically 3% commission to sell. The OP may have some interest in that.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
I don't have any input on your situation, but we just bought a house in Marshalltown last July and we're going to likely be selling it later this year to get back to the Des Moines area. We've already dropped $10k (new windows in the br's, new light fixtures, new fridge) in the house and just begun the painting process (the place is/was a throw back to the early 90's). We bought the house for $113k and hoping to get $125k for it when we sell. I'm getting a bit concerned that Fisher's continued struggles are going to make selling tough, though.

Isn't the recommendation for newborns to sleep in their parents' room for 1 year? Add the 9 months of pregnancy and mtown has almost 2 years before the downstairs bedroom is needed. Given Stewo's info about Fisher struggling, mtown might be able to find a very good deal on some real estate in those 2 years. Something to consider.

Edit: I didn't consider mtown having to sell his current house though. A market that gets you a good deal on a house will likely also make it tough to sell the current home.

Reactions: Dandy

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

We are looking to down-size. DM me with the specifics of your house as I might be interested.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Isn't the recommendation for newborns to sleep in their parents' room for 1 year? Add the 9 months of pregnancy and mtown has almost 2 years before the downstairs bedroom is needed. Given Stewo's info about Fisher struggling, mtown might be able to find a very good deal on some real estate in those 2 years. Something to consider.
That doesn't seem like a thing. And if it is a thing, **** that, no way Jose.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
My niece has a similar situation, her house makes even less sense than yours. Two bedrooms up, master on first floor that has one of those great rooms that isn't very great, with not a ton of space and a high ceiling, and a nice furnished basement with a roomy family room that is freezing. She has a toddler and a baby in the two upstairs rooms, and spends most of her life going up and down the stairs. House would be so much nicer with a full second floor instead of that energy and room sucking high ceiling great room.

But to your problem, I guess I would maybe put out feelers on how difficult it would be to sell your house before you decide. If that is going to be difficult, might as well keep it and fix it.

we saw a lot of those first floor master set ups when hunting. Seems like that was thing to build around 2000. I thought they seemed terrible - especially the waste of space 2 story great rooms! Maybe if we had teenage kids or something, but the idea of going through the infant and toddler stage with them upstairs - all I could imagine was going up and down those steps 80 times a day and night.

CloneHead

Apr 11, 2006
See if the builder will take your current house as a trade, thus avoiding the commission hit.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Isn't the recommendation for newborns to sleep in their parents' room for 1 year? Add the 9 months of pregnancy and mtown has almost 2 years before the downstairs bedroom is needed.

I'm not sure what the current recommendation is, but we always kept our babies in our room while still breast feeding. Once you have to get them a bottle or something anyway, might as well go get the baby too.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
think the recommendation just came out to keep them in the same room (not bed!) for six months to reduce SIDs risk.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
It's very true, I just went through it. AAP recommends infants sleeping in the same room, on a different surface, for at least the first 6 months and ideally for the first year of life. Reduces risk of SIDs.

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the...-recommendations-to-protect-against-sids.aspx

Well I guess I always made it more than six months breastfeeding so they all lived.

I'm not sure why it would reduce the risk of SIDS though unless you spend a lot of time awake listening to them breathe, which I did when one of them had that RSV virus.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The First step is to figure out what your current home would actually sell for. What you paid and the improvements cost are not necessarily relevant. Look to see if you can find a few similar split levels for sale or ones that have recently sold and compare those to your house.

I would probably lean to just installing a HVAC system to meet the needs of the house. A heating system that can't warm a house over 69 degrees was poorly designed or is broken. Of course I keep ours colder than that so toughen up buttercup's. The one thing you can't change is how many bedroom's are on the main level so if you are not going to move someone downstairs then that would be a reason to move. I still don't like paying the depreciation/builder's profit on a new home when there are plenty of good resales available.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Hey, @mtowncyclone13 random comment for this thread, but I know your avatar haha. I met Caitlin while I was living with my buddies down in Scottsdale, she is a bartended/bottle service girl at Maya Day/Night club and she lived not too far away from us. Unreal body, and is a gorgeous girl, but it's like talking to a freaking wall haha. Anyway, crazy that you have her as your avatar hahaha