How do I cancel a premium subscription for my deceased brother?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
My brother had a premium subscription paid for by my mother on her credit card, he passed away this past October, and she has been paying the bill monthly service since then.
She contacted her credit card company yesterday and explained the situation, they sent an email to Rivals, and she received an email from them wanting a bunch of information that she does not have.

1. email address, she has that one
2. his log in name, she has no idea what that was, neither does his daughters.
3. death certificate, she can get one of those, but really?
4. letter from the executer stating that he has passed. His estate is going to be stuck in court for at least another 6 months, this is not possible at this time.

Anything you can do to provide me with a way for her to stop making payments on this account, if you need more information PM and i will pass it along.

Thanks

SEIOWA CLONE

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Oh, an executor can get as many copies of the death statement as they need. When my mom died, we had to take one to each of her bank accounts, etc. So, you could get a copy of that from your brother's executor.

If you still have access to his computer/laptop, you might be able to find his log in name. Or, search his e-mail for messages from the account. (That's how I access some of mine from airlines and hotels, easier than remembering)

Very sorry for your loss, but something that we can all learn to pass on to those who follow us. If you have a will, just include a list of log-ins or how to access them. It doesn't have to be notarized or anything like that.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
My brother had a premium subscription paid for by my mother on her credit card, he passed away this past October, and she has been paying the bill monthly service since then.
She contacted her credit card company yesterday and explained the situation, they sent an email to Rivals, and she received an email from them wanting a bunch of information that she does not have.

4. letter from the executer stating that he has passed. His estate is going to be stuck in court for at least another 6 months, this is not possible at this time.

Anything you can do to provide me with a way for her to stop making payments on this account, if you need more information PM and i will pass it along.

Thanks

SEIOWA CLONE

First, sorry for your loss.

Second, as to the bolded, did I miss something about this website?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Oh, an executor can get as many copies of the death statement as they need. When my mom died, we had to take one to each of her bank accounts, etc. So, you could get a copy of that from your brother's executor.

If you still have access to his computer/laptop, you might be able to find his log in name. Or, search his e-mail for messages from the account. (That's how I access some of mine from airlines and hotels, easier than remembering)

Very sorry for your loss, but something that we can all learn to pass on to those who follow us. If you have a will, just include a list of log-ins or how to access them. It doesn't have to be notarized or anything like that.
Thanks, but getting copies of the death certificate should not be difficult. My mom and his daughters have had a falling out since the funeral, so I am not sure that getting his computer is even possible, and I am sure it has a pass code, I know his phone did.

Would it be possible for her to just tell her credit card company to stop paying on the account? My mom is 83 years old, and not very computer savvy, to say the least, plus she hates confrontation with people on the phone. Just looking for a way to stop her from paying for a service she no longer needs. She did say last night that they would not even allow her to transfer the account to my name and handle.

Thanks for all the advice.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
First, sorry for your loss.

Second, as to the bolded, did I miss something about this website?
I just assumed it was this website, but the credit card company did send it to rivals, maybe he had it on their ISU site? Never really thought about the rivals site.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Maybe do a chat to a real life person (people from India tend to be very courteous while chatting ;)).

Customer Support​

Submit a help request to our Rivals support staff by reviewing the Rivals Support Options. We are happy to address any subscription or technical related questions you may have regarding your Rivals.com account. We look forward to assisting you with your request!
Hours of Operation
Email Support:
24 hours (Expect a response within 24 hours of submission).
Chat Support: Monday - Friday 6 am - 3 pm PST.

OR:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would think it would be very easy to have the credit card cancel the payment.

At worst, she could report the card lost and get a new card & new card # issued. In essence cancelling the monthly subscription. But obviously, I would think the owners of the Rivals site could resolve with card holder name.

Sorry to hear about your brother.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Sorry for your loss.

I have not been in is situation before, but I’d think the CC company could cancel.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I would think it would be very easy to have the credit card cancel the payment.

At worst, she could report the card lost and get a new card & new card # issued. In essence cancelling the monthly subscription. But obviously, I would think the owners of the Rivals site could resolve with card holder name.

Sorry to hear about your brother.
Agree. call the credit card company, tell them that you’re not having success canceling a membership. You can also tell them that since they are refusing to cancel the membership that it’s an unauthorized transaction and you’re not asking for any refunds you just want to cancel and not have any more payments come from that vendor. And they will almost certainly block all future payments from rivals. Keep a close eye on the statement for 2 to 3 months to make sure it sticks.

Sorry for your loss OP.

P.S. There is no way in hell I would provide some online sports website a copy of a death certificate or personal docs.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Agree. call the credit card company, tell them that you’re not having success canceling a membership. You can also tell them that since they are refusing to cancel the membership that it’s an unauthorized transaction and you’re not asking for any refunds you just want to cancel and not have any more payments come from that vendor. And they will almost certainly block all future payments from rivals. Keep a close eye on the statement for 2 to 3 months to make sure it sticks.

Sorry for your loss OP.

P.S. There is no way in hell I would provide some online sports website a copy of a death certificate or personal docs.

Why? They are dead how are they going to do anything bad with a death certificate?

• Dumb
Reactions: mynameisjonas

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Why? They are dead how are they going to do anything bad with a death certificate?
Identity theft on a deceased person is actually more common than you would think. Unless it’s absolutely necessary, and the sports website is definitely not that, there’s no reason to provide any personal documents.

• Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Identity theft on a deceased person is actually more common than you would think. Unless it’s absolutely necessary, and the sports website is definitely not that, there’s no reason to provide any personal documents.
I'm not arguing with you I'm just curious that how it happens when the SSN is cancelled and inactivated by the Social Security Administration. I can't even e-file a deceased person's tax return (if it isn't a recent death) because the SSA cancels the SSN and the e-file gets rejected by the IRS.

And I'll take my dad for example. If someone were to start using his SSN he's not around (and hasn't been for 5 years) to be liable for anything that someone may have used his SSN for.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Sorry for you loss. Rival's is a MFer to cancel. That is why I refuse to sign up with them.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Thanks for all the well wishes and the advice, without a doubt my brother is in a better place that the alternative he was facing.
I will tell my mom to just call the credit card company and tell them that she has lost her credit card and wants a new one issued with a new number. That will be the easiest route for her, it looks like to me.

Reactions: pourcyne

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Probably not the best solution, but cancelling the card or obtaining a new card number would end the charges.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Thanks

SEIOWA CLONE

It's your mother's credit card? The credit card company should be able to terminate the subscription without getting a whole new card. Just tell them that it's a fraudulent charge.

• Agree
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems reasonable to go on the Cyclone Report forums and interact with whomever it is that runs the local site. If the original email was sent to some corporate Rivals account, there is no one there who actually cares about customer service. Post this publicly on a Cyclone Report forum and others should be able to help you make it happen.

Last edited: