How to choose a fraternity

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I would like to see those same statistics removing the dropouts entirely. (I can almost promise you they are included in the ALL UNDERGRAD GPA.)

There are alot of 0.0 GPA's averaged in those statistics.

Is there a statistic for Cumulative GPA's at graduation for Greek vs. Non Greeks?

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Did you guys know that 95% of the leaders for organizations and groups are greek. Shows you how much leadership you gain by going greek!

mostly because they have something to gain by it. Their houses expect it and awards are based on involvement. Believe me if all they got was a feeling of self achievement they wouldn't be any more involved than the average non-greek.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
they are full of meat-head party animals that want to buy their friends, stumble through life half drunk, and sit around all day convinced of their own sense of superiority.

This is by far the single greatest endorsement of greek life I have ever heard. Throw in a comment about pulling wool and I think we may have it. This isn't a stereotype, it should be a pledge (pun intended).

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I already found out who my roomate would be in the dorms and let's just say he's "special".
I recently finished running Orientation all through June. If you're coming in the fall, I assume you went through it at some point last month. I am one of the Cyclone Aides that helped you and your family during your two days on campus. During that month, we saw about 4,600 incoming freshmen come through campus, as well as an additional 11,200 family members. Many of those students (and a few family members) had the exact same concern you do; they looked up their assigned roommate and found something outside their realm of experience. You are absolutely not the only one who has doubts about their roommate coming into college, and I'll tell you the same thing that I told everyone else who asked: you really need to come to college with an open mind. There are going to be a TON of people and viewpoints and experiences that you've never come across before in your life, and a roommate is just one of those.

When I moved into Friley Hall my freshman year, I didn't know anything about my roommate. We'd exchanged emails just once, to introduce ourselves briefly and coordinate who was bringing what, and that was it. I barely even remembered his name when he walked in the door, but I remember talking to him that first afternoon and thinking, "This kid is a total weirdo. How am I ever going to live with him?" We were (and are) incredibly different people, with different habits, different majors, different interests, different backgrounds and so on. I decided to give it a shot and see how it went. A week and a half later, I couldn't believe I'd ever been concerned in the first place, especially without even giving him a chance. We weren't best friends, but we were really good friends. Three years later, we still are. I met some of my closest friends at ISU through my roommate, and he met some of his through me. Without knowing each other, neither one of us would have ever met most of those people.

My point is this: I had my concerns. Hundreds of freshmen do, and it happens every year. Somehow, every year, those hundreds of freshmen manage to survive and excel. I'm assuming that you're coming to college because you want to learn. Learning doesn't just happen in a textbook or lecture hall; in fact, most of it doesn't. It happens out in the real world, as you live your life. No matter where you choose to live when you get to ISU, you're going to need that open mind I told you about. My personal hope is that you choose to live with this other young man for the very reason that you're concerned about living with him: he's different from you in some way. I've found from experience that that's the very best way to learn. And who knows? You just might get something good out of it that you'd never expected!

Reactions: iastate08

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
My point is this: I had my concerns. Hundreds of freshmen do, and it happens every year. Somehow, every year, those hundreds of freshmen manage to survive and excel. I'm assuming that you're coming to college because you want to learn. Learning doesn't just happen in a textbook or lecture hall; in fact, most of it doesn't. It happens out in the real world, as you live your life. No matter where you choose to live when you get to ISU, you're going to need that open mind I told you about. My personal hope is that you choose to live with this other young man for the very reason that you're concerned about living with him: he's different from you in some way. I've found from experience that that's the very best way to learn. And who knows? You just might get something good out of it that you'd never expected!

Kind of like prison and cell mates.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron