I-35 Ankeny->Ames to become six lanes?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I frequently bail on 35 at either Ankeny or Huxley and go through either Huxley or Slater. Kids call me an old lady driver for it. I'm really not comfortable when I get trapped in the left lane and I'm going with the flow of traffic at 80 mph and still have someone riding my bumper. When your student lives on the west side of campus, it just seems easier to head west earlier and not deal with the cloverleaf. I liked when I had one in Freddy Court and just went to 13th. I'm guessing during construction, my preferred routes will be seeing a lot more traffic.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
They just redid the whole 69 route from Ankeny to Ames not to many years ago. They decided not to expand to 4 lanes than I would think that that is not in the plans. If so what a wasted project just a few short years ago.

Yeah I'm guessing a 4-lane 69 isn't in the plans any time soon. Where I'd be at with the whole situation on I-35 is looking at the cost of it. If it's $100 million, can an alternative that involved upgrades to other corridors be done at a cheaper cost with the same net benefit. I'm not sure if the DOT has looked at that or not yet.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I lived in Lincoln, NE for quite a few years and it took NDOT 10 years to convert 56 miles of I-80 into 6 lane between Omaha and Lincoln. I will say that it most definitely helped with the reduculousness that was driving between these two cities.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Wasn't there serious talk 5-10 years ago about some kind of "northeast connector" that would start around Polk City, move eastward along the north edge of Ankeny, curve south and then hook up with I-80 somewhere around Altoona or Bondurant? Wonder whatever became of that proposition.

Its still on the table - go look at the comp plans for Polk City and other surrounding towns. But its such a big project, planning /design takes many years. Just look at what DSM had to deal with SW Connector and the MLK extension.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
It's hilarious that Des Moines extended metro is or will be mostly 6 lanes when 90% of 90/94 corridor through Chicago is only 6 lanes. That's not a dig on Des Moines, but a face palm of horrific Chicago traffic.

the I 94 I drive is 5 to 6 lanes wide in each direction.

Of course, we have multiple trains too.

Id much rather drive in Chicago that either I80 between Davenport and Des Moines or I35 between Ames and Des Moines.

Much easier to drive with people that know the left lane is for passing.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Any thoughts as to what difference autonomous vehicles might make in 20 yrs (or not longer after) when this would be completed?

Traffic will flow much more efficiently than it does today. Also, will driver-less Uber cars (buses/vans/?) with multiple passengers be bringing people to-and-from Ames to Des Moines on a regular basis?

Interesting to consider. Point being - I don't think it is prudent to just blindly project traffic needs out a decade or two using past assumptions given the big changes coming down the pike.

• Agree
Reactions: cjs24

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't care about widening the Interstate because that won't help anything. It's like replacing a water pipe in the middle of your house with a bigger one; it won't increase capacity.

But redoing that double exit BS onto 30 would be a dream come true. Although it is somewhat of an ISU tradition by now. I hate it, my father hated it, and his father hated it, and his father hated it!

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
They should also add 5-10 more power lines along the east side of the interstate to be safe.

• Funny
Reactions: Trice and JP4CY

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I see more problems with the on/off ramps in Ankeny then widening I-35. The new Diamond interchange at Grand Prairie Pkwy would do wonders at I-35(Corp Woods, Oralabor, 1st st, and 36th St) as-well-as I-80(415 and 69).

Also, if the DSM had better public transit options, less stop lights, and more roundabouts this problem would take care of itself.

To @capitalcityguy 's point. A bus system would do wonders. Also, according to this report by The University of Cal Berkley that for every 1 ride share vehicle, approx 10-25 cars could be taken off the road.
https://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/Files/CDD/Transportation/PTDM/PTDM_Impact_on Vehicles.ashx

If they wanted to fix the I-35 problem tomorrow, they could A) put toll booths up, and start charging.. (Congestion Pricing). https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/congestionpricing/sec2.htm
B) Add High-occupancy toll lanes

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agreed, that's why I said I wasn't necessarily against doing it, just that people need to realize it isn't going to lessen congestion.
Perhaps not from today's levels, but by the time it is finished it will have less congestion than the road would have had at that completion date with nothing done.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I drive many miles across many states mostly on interstate. The best thing six lanes helps with is that the semi trucks that have a limited speed do not slow up the traffic as much. Ever been behind two Swift semi's when they are trying to pass each other?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I see more problems with the on/off ramps in Ankeny then widening I-35. The new Diamond interchange at Grand Prairie Pkwy would do wonders at I-35(Corp Woods, Oralabor, 1st st, and 36th St) as-well-as I-80(415 and 69).

1st St in Ankeny is getting one of these diamond interchanges and the interstate is being widened to 6 lanes up to 36th St. I think this starts in a year or two. Oralabor is getting redone as we speak.

I'm not convinced the 36th St. exit will need much work for years to come, except perhaps the on ramp from 36th to southbound I-35. Then again, once the 36th upgrade between 69 and Delaware is done that may lead to another big jump in traffic like it did when the interchange opened.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
One of the things i wish ankeny had was a western option for going north-south without as many stoplights. There's one good road for moving N-S quickly through ankeny and its on the eastern edge (I-35). If there had been an additional route planned in advance built more like a highway, maybe that could be expanded instead of alleviating I-35 through adding lanes. Unfortunately there's little way to do that now. And without that, those roads wont alleviate much of the Ames-Des moines I-35 traffic either as no one going between the two wants to be slowed by driving through ankeny .

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
It's hilarious that Des Moines extended metro is or will be mostly 6 lanes when 90% of 90/94 corridor through Chicago is only 6 lanes. That's not a dig on Des Moines, but a face palm of horrific Chicago traffic.
The city of Chicago messed up when they didn't make the Kennedy, Eisenhower, Stevenson, and Dan Ryan expressways 14 lanes wide (7 in each direction, 3 express lanes and 4 local) from downtown out to at least 294. The Dan Ryan Southbound is the only one that has a stretch of 14 lanes.
And, they should have built an L Train that runs directly along Lake Shore Drive in between the lanes of traffic. Ok I'm getting greedy.

Reactions: wxman1

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
I drive many miles across many states mostly on interstate. The best thing six lanes helps with is that the semi trucks that have a limited speed do not slow up the traffic as much. Ever been behind two Swift semi's when they are trying to pass each other?

I think I found the problem.

• Funny
Reactions: Freebird

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

And the one who is making the pass always cuts you off last second right before you pass them because god forbid they have to hit their break for 2 seconds.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
Sure Wish I had a Faster Truck

• Agree
Reactions: chadm

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I'd get a semi too if I was behind Swift. :p

Taylor-Swift-DQ-via-Deborah-Tobias-FB.png