I-35 Ankeny->Ames to become six lanes?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
driving in Ames is just as bad.

many city planning departments are so worried about making sure setbacks and storm water pond sizing are correct they overlook the "planning" part of the job. part of planning is telling decision-makers that some ideas are bad and there are alternatives. a few months back we had a huge thread about the long-term budget issues causes by culs-de-sac and a forced street hierarchy. Ankeny (and basically all the western suburbs) are so mesmerized by capturing the growth they all fight for the same exact thing. The end result is more and more people in their cars (and no, i'm not saying cars are bad) taking the same routes to further and further places that are the exact same as they places they are driving through.

the long-term solution is to not mandate such accommodation for cars which only forces people to take cars everywhere. if cities worked together instead of against each other they could have a more uniform development pattern across jurisdictions that would spread traffic out.

Ames has definitely had some bad city planning and is paying for it. However I think Ames' issues are more easily solved than Ankeny. Martin Marietta mines really limit more access to 35 but Ames still has the room around it to embrace 30 and build faster routes off it especially in the NW areas of Ames. North Ames is a nightmare to get to and not getting better.

Time will tell if they will build anything or just keep adding neighborhoods with no easy ways to or from.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Alternative routes are great, but what are they. 17 and 69 are the only two that really work. 17 is limited by 141 right now so there isn't a real reason to work on that until that gets fixed. 69 has to go through Ankeny and isn't really serving anyone different. Part of the problem is Saylorville and the Des Moines River basically say screw you to a north south route through most of the metro.

Wonder if we mightve had a decent option if we'd ever done the north MLK interchange that had been talked about over the years. That would probably tie in to morningstar drive, so you'd get off there, and if designed like a highway, would provide alternate access to ankeny, and quick linkup to 415 and the route to ames through Slater. Would also provide another N-S route to downtown that would be nice.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Wonder if we mightve had a decent option if we'd ever done the north MLK interchange that had been talked about over the years. That would probably tie in to morningstar drive, so you'd get off there, and if designed like a highway, would provide alternate access to ankeny, and quick linkup to 415 and the route to ames through Slater. Would also provide another N-S route to downtown that would be nice.

That would've/could've been awesome. I don't really see how it's possible, but the metro needs a good N/S artery.

I get the road vs street argument, but it shouldn't take 30 minutes to get from Johnston to downtown DSM.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
In a few years we'll have self driving cars and all this discussion will be pointless.