I have a little More Respect For Peter Jok

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Did these guys know each other or just compete?

Sorry for the edits, I'm not always good with tech

That is good to see. I don't have an answer for how well they know each other, but they have competed against each other at least once a season for the last four years, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they've gotten to know each other off the court a bit as well.

It's interesting; Iowa and ISU fans are seemingly always at each others throats, screaming and ranting and raving back and forth, but it seems like the student-athletes from all the in-state teams (including UNI, look at Georges and Naz going to the game against North Carolina in Cedar Falls a couple of seasons ago) get along pretty well with each other, at least off the court.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I think a lot of these guys are friends off the court. I'm pretty sure Monte was close with Devin Marble and Anthony Clemmons since they're from Michigan.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hello, it's because Jok wanted to come to ISU and play with these guys, that is a known fact. ISU was far away ahead of everyone else in his recruitment, but when it came out someone on Fred's staff texted Jok or something during the quiet period of recruiting, Fred had to back off of Jok, he had no choice or the NCAA would have investigated.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
They're friends. Our guys have gone to IC to party and hang with Jok before.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Both teams frequently hung out together. I saw Niang and Long few times at Iowa football games in Iowa City. Both Long and Niang are great kids based on my previous interactions with them. Need more guys like that in college basketball.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
All love because he probably wishes he was graduating with those guys. Weren't we his #1 until we had an assistant get busted texting him during a dead period?

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Marble's dad was a mentor of sorts for Monte and helped steer him to Hoiberg and ISU. I'm almost certain he and Devyn were at least fairly close friends.

One of Montee's best friends also plays at Luther.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think Jok committed to Iowa pretty early in the process

He committed to Iowa shortly after Fred told him he couldn't come to ISU anymore. That is the fact. I can't believe some people don't remember how this all went down? Jok would take tons of unofficial visits up to ISU. In fact, I remember a lot of ISU fans saying they weren't sure they wanted him because of his bad (injured feet) and very poor defense.

He turned out to be pretty darn good though.... offensively anyway.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
JOk wanted to be a cyclone.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Jok's recruiting rankings were nearly on par with Barnes prior to his injury. Seems like it was during his Sophomore year at Roosevelt.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
He committed to Iowa shortly after Fred told him he couldn't come to ISU anymore. That is the fact. I can't believe some people don't remember how this all went down? Jok would take tons of unofficial visits up to ISU. In fact, I remember a lot of ISU fans saying they weren't sure they wanted him because of his bad (injured feet) and very poor defense.

He turned out to be pretty darn good though.... offensively anyway.
Gosh you come off as a jilted lover here.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014