I love CF but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
the ads filling up half of my phone screen, that just started. Video ads that surprise me with audio, or the ads that shift the page just as I'm about to click, or the "winner" spam that takes over my browser. Or it making my work computer fan kick on within seconds of getting on here.

Maybe if I paid to be a super fanatic I wouldn't have these issues. But not sure I can fathom paying to read the full on negativity to players, coaches, and admin.

I test drove The Athletic and was blown away with the writing. Dare I say that they have as good of content as Rob Gray? Doubt they will do it if we are down like the CF staff does.

This pains me to say, but it may be time to stop being a fanatic. Talk me out of it or give me tips on easing my frustrations. Chris and the whole staff have provided me a great place to waste work time for 12 years and am very thankful. Owe them all, and I was a Patreon member for a little while. These guys deserve every penny they get and more. I just don't want to pay more as this is a distraction and by paying I will feel compelled to waste more time than I already spend. BTW, I won't be paying for The Athletic, if I spend anything on reading sports it will be here.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
You want someone to talk you out of leaving a free site that covers Iowa State that has great writing, great coverage and an awesome fan base?

It's really not that complicated.

Three words:

Ignore. The. Idiots.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: clonedude and kkise

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I understand the need for ads and accept their annoyance, and even click some to up CF revenues :)

but the ads that constantly cause the mobile to hop around like a hot potato so you cannot read anything or type anything defeat the purpose.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
You want someone to talk you out of leaving a free site that covers Iowa State that has great writing, great coverage and an awesome fan base?

It's really not that complicated.

Three words:

Ignore. The. Idiots.
I think I explained my reasons. I've been ignoring them for 10 of the 12 years. But paying to fix the other issues doesn't make it free anymore.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think I explained my reasons. I've been ignoring them for 10 of the 12 years. But paying to fix the other issues doesn't make it free anymore.

I was mostly responding to you saying "But not sure I can fathom paying to read the full on negativity to players, coaches, and admin." I hope that's not a reason for anyone to leave the site.

I get the frustration with using it on mobile. I'm probably one of the few that accesses the site more from a desktop than my phone. I mainly use my mobile to access podcasts and check on a few stories/forums at night because the ads can make it rough to post.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Download DuckDuckGo app, thank me later. Essentially a browser/ad-blocker all in one.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Ok ... a few quick things.

1) Should not be looking that way on mobile. Something has to be up. I'm gonna call the dev.

2) the no ads on mobile will be available this spring. I have told you guys that before. My apologies if you never saw.

3) we have been using patreon funds to build an app that will also be released this spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron