Ian Parker at?

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Fully expect Gomez to be at 125. He went up simply to wrestle better competition this year. Regardless I expect Vega to be the front runner for that weight next year.

Gomez said he'll be at 133. That came from him directly.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Yes, I don't see Gomez ever being 125, so this discussion is pretty pointless. It's nice to have many talented lower weights to battle it out for a change.

****Edit**** I'm am idiot and getting Gomez and Parker confused again. Point remains we have a lot of talented lower weights that will fight it out next year. If we can redshirt great....if the best wrestler is significantly better no redshirt.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Storr has some ideal workout partners. He will out place this years ISU team by himself next year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Was told that he outgrew 133 & Storr at 141, they want Parker at 149. Weighing in low 150's right now

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Okay then. I guess I'm just surprised because we usually don't see that sort of jump in weight.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
If Parker gets to be a decent-sized 149 pounder that would be big for us. Might've been hard for him to crack the lineup with Gomez, Simmons, and Storr. Not like 149 has been a great weight for us lately either.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
If Parker gets to be a decent-sized 149 pounder that would be big for us. Might've been hard for him to crack the lineup with Gomez, Simmons, and Storr. Not like 149 has been a great weight for us lately either.
Or any weight really..... (jimlad)

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
He is not there yet. Would still be a small 149 pounder
Most every Penn State wrestler looks small for their weight class. Doesn't seem to hurt their performance! Cutting weight is a model of the past. Training to build muscle and flexibility and wrestling a more natural weight class is proving better performance.

• Agree
Reactions: Land Shark

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Most every Penn State wrestler looks small for their weight class. Doesn't seem to hurt their performance! Cutting weight is a model of the past. Training to build muscle and flexibility and wrestling a more natural weight class is proving better performance.

Can't really use PSU as an example. They recruit at a different level.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Yes and no on using PSU as an example.

Can't argue that PSU is recruiting talent that not many can match right now, however they do have their guys wrestling at more of a natural weight. Flexibility, with the possible exception of Joseph and Suriano, who are more brutish, is a dynamic shift in overall philosophy.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Can't really use PSU as an example. They recruit at a different level.
Can't use the best team in the nation as an example? If you don't you'll fall behind soon! I don't care who your recruits are, the formula is the same! Have kids wrestle at a comfortable weight and allow them to focus on technique and their training and less on the negative mentality associated with cutting weight. It allows them to have a much more positive mental attitude towards training and competition. Just ask them!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Can't use the best team in the nation as an example? If you don't you'll fall behind soon! I don't care who your recruits are, the formula is the same! Have kids wrestle at a comfortable weight and allow them to focus on technique and their training and less on the negative mentality associated with cutting weight. It allows them to have a much more positive mental attitude towards training and competition. Just ask them!

I'm with you that insane weight cutting is archaic at this point (look at what it did to our lineup this year for example) but it isn't ever going to go away entirely in a weight based sport. But I'd have to also say that Penn State isn't the best example though because it is easy to "have fun" when you're basically an all star team that starts out three steps ahead of everybody else purely because of talent. Better to consider Cornell, VT, Ohio State or other schools like that.

Last edited:

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I'm with you that insane weight cutting is archaic at this point (look at what it did to our lineup this year for example) but it isn't ever going to go away entirely in a weight based sport. But I'd have to also say that Penn State isn't the best example though because it is easy to "have fun" when you're basically an all star team that starts out three steps ahead of everybody else purely because of talent. Better to consider Cornell, VT, Ohio State or other schools like that.

This was my point. Nolf and Retherford don't have to cut weight because they're that good. Most guys have to.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I get MUCH better performance out of my high school wrestlers when they are not cutting weight. Goes the same for college wrestlers as well. The training intensity is so much better, it's not even comparable.

...and obviously, I agree that the better the abilities of the wrestler, the easier it is to perform better at their natural weight. I am just a believer that performance of a college athlete, especially a wrestler, is more mental than most realize. Cutting weight is horrible for a wrestler's mind. Take this out of the equation and let them focus on the things that make them great! I think this is what Cael is good at.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: buf87

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I get MUCH better performance out of my high school wrestlers when they are not cutting weight. Goes the same for college wrestlers as well. The training intensity is so much better, it's not even comparable.

There are wide ranges of weight cutting though. Somebody trying to suck down 10-15% of their body weight each week that isn't properly fueling themselves and hasn't had a drop of water in over a day is a lot different than somebody who cuts down a couple percentage points to make a lower weight class. You're never going to get rid of weight cutting entirely and it isn't inherently bad. Extreme weight cutting is what is inherently bad.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve