IF...Booz, JVB and Lucca were still...

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
here and healthy...would our record be any different?

Can a case be made for the Tech and OU games???

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
here and healthy...would our record be any different?

Can a case be made for the Tech and OU games???

OU was missing arguably their best two players, and we are debating whether some role players would have made a difference for us?

Glad to see the excuse machine is getting cranked up into high gear. Time to extend GMac again. He just can't catch a break and needs more time.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
IMO, having a healthy Vanderbeeken all season could have mattered in a few games. I think he was expected to be a big contributor this season with the matchup problems he creates due to his ability to nail the 3-ball.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Glad to see the excuse machine is getting cranked up into high gear. Time to extend GMac again. He just can't catch a break and needs more time.

Seriously? Asking a hypothetical is excuse making in your book?

And you are still harping on the extension, even though it's been thoroughly explained over and over?

give it a rest.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
OU was missing arguably their best two players, and we are debating whether some role players would have made a difference for us?

If you don't think having JVB healthy all year would have made a difference in games then you are a little bit off base. Depth at any time helps. I don't know that it makes the difference between winning or losing but you can definitely make a case for us being better with those players, especially JVB and Boozer.

No one mentioned Mac in this thread. FYI, every thread about basketball doesn't have to involve how much of a failure Mac is as a coach. There are other things to talk about as far as basketball goes.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
They're not. Lets focus on the team we have and look forward to the good things they can still do.

Well no kidding they are not. Nothing wrong with the OP asking a question to open up discussion....on a message board

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008

Just noticing a trend. Here is another recent post this morning:

"But whatever plans they had for this team went up in smoke with injuries to Boozer and JVB, Colvin's therapeutic pine time, Staiger's defection, and now Christopherson's mono."

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Just noticing a trend. Here is another recent post this morning:

"But whatever plans they had for this team went up in smoke with injuries to Boozer and JVB, Colvin's therapeutic pine time, Staiger's defection, and now Christopherson's mono."

So a statement of the truth bothers you somehow?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Great question OP. In my mind, this team would have beaten both Tech and OU. I have a feeling that the OU game will be the one that we look back on at the end of the season and say "that's the worst loss, that we should have won" this season.

A current Big 12 assistant coach (not from Iowa State) told me last week that he believes Colorado is a better all-around basketball team than Oklahoma or Texas Tech.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
A difference would have been made, but I'm not convinced it would have led to wins. This team was showing signs of major issues before the injury bug struck.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe a game better, and thats a big maybe. I think we are a little bit worse of a team without those 3, but we weren't really playing any better with them, so the difference is pretty minimal.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

And you are still harping on the extension, even though it's been thoroughly explained over and over?

give it a rest.

That extension can be explained over and over, but it was still a ridiculous mistake (as it would be with any coach, not just Gmac. No coach needs a 9-year contract to rebuild a program, and under no circumstances should a coach EVER get a contract extension because one player was suspended for 6 games for driving the wrong car. No legitimate justification for that).

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
So a statement of the truth bothers you somehow?

Not at all. My opinion is that we have had years of excuses and I am now noticing a trend that more and more posts are bringing up JVB, etc as a possible excuse for some of our losses.

Just pointed out that OU was missing two great players. CU was missing one of its best players and still almost beat us on our home court. Teams generally have these issues during a season. [Queue series of posts that our bad luck > their bad luck]. Good coaches and teams rise above them.

Does it bother you that I am free to post my opinion?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The outside shooting threat ius very limited when your power forwards may be moist feared and a under the weather Scotty is the main and only guard perimeter shooting threat. Losing Lucca, Booz, and JVB would have helped with opening up the court. As it is now, just pack it in against us. Our offense should suffer.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Northwestern was also missing one of their better players and IIRC, Cal had one or two guys sitting against us.

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Great question OP. In my mind, this team would have beaten both Tech and OU. I have a feeling that the OU game will be the one that we look back on at the end of the season and say "that's the worst loss, that we should have won" this season.

A current Big 12 assistant coach (not from Iowa State) told me last week that he believes Colorado is a better all-around basketball team than Oklahoma or Texas Tech.

Northwestern was another bombout. We failed to play decent defense inside on the drives.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Not at all. My opinion is that we have had years of excuses and I am now noticing a trend that more and more posts are bringing up JVB, etc as a possible excuse for some of our losses.

Just pointed out that OU was missing two great players. CU was missing one of its best players and still almost beat us on our home court. Teams generally have these issues during a season. [Queue series of posts that our bad luck > their bad luck]. Good coaches and teams rise above them.

Does it bother you that I am free to post my opinion?

We have no real outside shooting threats unless they are also supposed rebounders.