images from ISU - UNI volleyball 9/10/2019

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I missed the match but from the pics and the highlights it looks like we just "out athleted" UNI
Herbst and Hatch looked to be killing it from what I managed to see. Interesting Libero U choice- Libero U strikes again! Amazing-

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I missed the match but from the pics and the highlights it looks like we just "out athleted" UNI
Herbst and Hatch looked to be killing it from what I managed to see. Interesting Libero U choice- Libero U strikes again! Amazing-
Given that she was recruited as an OH and with 5 other L/DS on the roster, Schuler at Libero was a surprise and with her play last night, she may stick there for the rest of the season.

ISU is more athletic than UNI but the big difference is that ISU has more offensive options while UNI really relies on Taylor who had 71 TAs. ISU's high for TAs were Hatch and Holthaus, each with 38.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfan1965

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Different players kind of took turns stepping-up. Mauck had a very good night, and Shannon served lights-out. Best part of the night (for me) was the overall great serving, I wasn't counting but only a handful of service errors. The biggest weakness last night was the lack of blocking, but the back row, particularly Schuler made up for it.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
I was really surprised to see Schuler back there, but more surprised at how well she played. CJL said in her post game that she's just so athletic, she can get to some balls most players wouldn't have a chance at. Her serve needs to be more consistent, but when it's on it's deadly. The only downside to having her at libero is not having her back row attack.

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
Distributing the ball evenly will make a huge difference for this team. Can't rely on one person like UNI does with Karlie. Schuler should be libero the rest of the year.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
It seems strange for Libero U to have 3 liberos in three years. In 2017 Hali was ISU's 9th Big 12 Libero of the Year in 10 years. An eight year streak was broken the year before, but Hali showed promise as she made the all freshman team as Libero in 2016. Izzy took over during last season, leading to Hali transferring for her senior year. No Libero of the Year in 2018. Now this year Schuler beats out Izzy. Hopefully Schuler is just that good, and its not an indication that we are losing out way in training up Liberos. The run of Maas, Hahn, and Nolan may have just spoiled us.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
It seems strange for Libero U to have 3 liberos in three years. In 2017 Hali was ISU's 9th Big 12 Libero of the Year in 10 years. An eight year streak was broken the year before, but Hali showed promise as she made the all freshman team as Libero in 2016. Izzy took over during last season, leading to Hali transferring for her senior year. No Libero of the Year in 2018. Now this year Schuler beats out Izzy. Hopefully Schuler is just that good, and its not an indication that we are losing out way in training up Liberos. The run of Maas, Hahn, and Nolan may have just spoiled us.
Caught Hilligas on ESPNU last night starting at Libero for #6 Pitt who beat #10 Oregon. I agree the circumstances leading to Schuler (recruited as an OH) now being ISU's Libero are unique and one would hope that Schuler or Izzy emerge as All Conterence caliber Liberos in light of Hillegas' departure.

In addition to Hillegas, freshman Madi Kubik from Valley West DSM is tied for 2nd in kills for #2 Nebraska, Sydney Peterson from Dike is the starting Libero for #3 Texas and Hannah Lockin from Valley West DSM is the starting setter for #5 Baylor who had a very impressive win at Wisconsin last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: gizzsdad