INSIDER: ISU no longer recruiting Wright, visitor information

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
So would you say that means ISU is in a good spot with those other point guards ahead of Wright?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Seems like really odd timing on Wright, and style-of-play thing makes no sense. I can't imagine Prohm's intended style of play changed much in the last few days. Either way, not a very good look for us...

Really liked the video on McNeil . Good size, and a nice looking jumper.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Seems like really odd timing on Wright, and style-of-play thing makes no sense. I can't imagine Prohm's intended style of play changed much in the last few days. Either way, not a very good look for us...

Really liked the video on McNeil . Good size, and a nice looking jumper.
Yes, it looks terrible for a program to be upfront with a kid and say, "We have moved on, don't waste your time or visit on us; good luck." Better to jerk him around and keep him on the line when you have actually moved on.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I can respect Prohm for being honest with Wright in terms of his priority level and the staff's willingness to accept a possible commitment.

However, everything I had read about his recruitment made him sound like a very solid prospect. A guy that would be rare for ISU to "decline" taking, especially with the numbers we have to fill. So for the staff to completely drop him....I guess they better be damn sure they have some other guys willing to commit, who are just as good or better than Wright.

Would be interested to hear what Wright has to say.

• Agree
Reactions: tadsteinberger

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
From what I've gathered on Wright: He was like 4 or 5 on ISU's list of PGs. Wright wants to make a decision now. ISU isn't ready for that. Prohm was brutally honest with the young man, which is refreshing. That NEVER happens in this field.

That makes me feel better about it. It's still too bad to see us offer a kid, have him schedule a visit, have him "eliminate" other schools, only to tell him he doesn't have a spot here. Glad it was upfront and honest, but still unfortunate.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yes, it looks terrible for a program to be upfront with a kid and say, "We have moved on, don't waste your time or visit on us; good luck." Better to jerk him around and keep him on the line when you have actually moved on.

Maybe they should be a little more discerning about their offers, then.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't buy it. Do I think they wanted him to wait? yes. Do i think he was 4th or 5th? no. They wouldn't be at every one of his games during the live period if they weren't serious about him. I think they still are holding out hope they get a visit from Sexton and so didn't want to take a true PG at this moment but will gladly take on a combo like McNeill.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I'll say this: I've covered ISU for over 10 years now. Never, have I seen a more stand up way of doing things behind the scenes then how Prohm is doing them. Hopefully it carries over to wins.

I am glad we have good people representing ISU.

However, I won't pretend that wins don't matter at this level. College basketball recruiting is a constant political, angling, persuasive environment. I hope Prohm doesn't back himself into a corner where he has to "settle" for fallback recruits after he has broken off long-term relationships with other prospects. Wright appeared to be the type of HS recruit ISU typically would have always been glad to get. And like has been mentioned, why did the staff just spend much of July specifically watching Wright/his AAU team? No way priorities could have changed that fast.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Maybe they should be a little more discerning about their offers, then.

Under the right circumstances, we probably would have taken his commitment, but we weren't ready for that on his timeline.

It happens all the time. Do you honestly think that everyone that reports a UNC or KU offer has an actual "commit-able offer"?

At least we were honest.

Reactions: Cydkar

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Under the right circumstances, we probably would have taken his commitment, but we weren't ready for that on his timeline.

It happens all the time. Do you honestly think that everyone that reports a UNC or KU offer has an actual "commit-able offer"?

At least we were honest.

This is where the language is important. To pull someone's offer is one thing. To say we are still interested in you, but if you want to commit right now we just can't take it is another thing. As long as it was properly communicated to the kid, that's fine. I sure hope so, because Minneapolis is a growing recruiting ground that has had some big time players come through lately (Vaughn, Tyus Jones, Reid Travis, Royce, Tre Jones, Gary Trent Jr.) you'd sure like to keep that pipeline open.

• Agree
Reactions: tadsteinberger

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I don't buy it. Do I think they wanted him to wait? yes. Do i think he was 4th or 5th? no. They wouldn't be at every one of his games during the live period if they weren't serious about him. I think they still are holding out hope they get a visit from Sexton and so didn't want to take a true PG at this moment but will gladly take on a combo like McNeill.

Maybe they saw him so much in July, that they realized he was overvalued previously. Maybe he's not what Prohm is looking for in a PG. If he's a plan C recruit, and he wants to commit before your plan A and plan B guys get to visit, then it's smart.

Worst case you can probably snag a sit out transfer in the spring to take over for Jackson. Better this than filling up on guys that aren't what you're looking for IMO.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This is where the language is important. To pull someone's offer is one thing. To say we are still interested in you, but if you want to commit right now we just can't take it is another thing.

And we have no clue what language was used between Prohm and Wright. You're not getting the full story from Williams' headline.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
From what I've gathered on Wright: He was like 4 or 5 on ISU's list of PGs. Wright wants to make a decision now. ISU isn't ready for that. Prohm was brutally honest with the young man, which is refreshing. That NEVER happens in this field.

Especially with 6 scholarships open next year and only Jackson likely returning to run the point.

I thought the staff would be looking at adding 2 PG/CG's this year one who could play right away as a freshman (list of 4-5 stars offered) and Wright who would be a developmental who could contribute major minutes as a Jr.

Now I think the staff wants 2 players who can play minutes at the PG in their first year. (freshman or JC) No doubt McKinnely's timeline of a decision, likely October would limit Prohm's options of taking 2 ball handlers that can contribute right away.
Class move by Prohm being honest with a recruit, hopefully he is reading his targets correctly and he gets the guys he wants to commit allowing for him to pass on Wright.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Maybe they saw him so much in July, that they realized he was overvalued previously. Maybe he's not what Prohm is looking for in a PG. If he's a plan C recruit, and he wants to commit before your plan A and plan B guys get to visit, then it's smart.

Worst case you can probably snag a sit out transfer in the spring to take over for Jackson. Better this than filling up on guys that aren't what you're looking for IMO.

I understand what you are saying. But we have recruited Wright long enough to have a real good understanding of what type of player he is.

There are also many times during the Summer circuit where school/coach X may see a new player for the first time, be blown away, offer and get a commitment, only to find out that player played way beyond his normal level and isn't what the staff thought he was. It goes both ways. Maybe all of the newer targets the staff has are hands-down better than Wright. Then so be it, pursue those guys first.

But maybe Wright became "stale" to the staff and wasn't the flavor of the month, even though he would have been a solid get? Again, I would love to hear what Wright's comments are on this.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Especially with 6 scholarships open next year and only Jackson likely returning to run the point.

I thought the staff would be looking at adding 2 PG/CG's this year one who could play right away as a freshman (list of 4-5 stars offered) and Wright who would be a developmental who could contribute major minutes as a Jr.

Now I think the staff wants 2 players who can play minutes at the PG in their first year. (freshman or JC) No doubt McKinnely's timeline of a decision, likely October would limit Prohm's options of taking 2 ball handlers that can contribute right away.
Class move by Prohm being honest with a recruit, hopefully he is reading his targets correctly and he gets the guys he wants to commit allowing for him to pass on Wright.

This could all be correct, but why did we have a coach at every one of his live period games in July?

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves