INSIDER: ISU no longer recruiting Wright, visitor information

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't doubt that one bit. I just hope no one walks away with hard feelings. Like I've said, that is a neck-of-the-woods we cannot afford to burn any bridges in. As long as things were above-board and handled properly, then so be it.

EMO!!!!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just with the number of open scholarships, and how important it is to have good guard play. I would think he would be worthy of a scholarship if they've been after him this long, and the other offers he has from quality programs. But like I said, I'll trust Prohm on this.

We need 6'10 guys that foul not guard play.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I understand that you offer a lot more than you have room for, I'm just not sure what happens when a kid then decides to commit to you but you want to wait to see if some of your higher rated guys want to commit to you first? What do schools do in those situations?

If you have an offer out, I assume you must accept a commitment, correct? I think ISU thought Wright might want to commit after his visit this weekend, but they weren't ready to accept, so they withdrew it, which is understandable, but still very uncomfortable.

Well, according to Hines' article today, uncomfortable might be an understatement. And I'm not disagreeing with posters on here at all.... that it happens all the time and why shouldn't ISU be able to get their most desired recruits and not 'settle' or keep a recruit 'hanging'? It would be impossible, I think, to know 'how many' offers to put out there to have enough to stiill get quality commits from, yet not to have to turn some away. Just the nasty business of recruiting. But I won't lie that its hard to have to read Hines quoting sources saying our reputation with D1 Minnesota will be very damaged. Could be a lot of preivious work, all for nothing. Surely other schools go through this same thing, don't they?? Heck, we've had plenty of recruits that we were in early on, may have even led for awhile , and then the blue bloods swept in at the tail end to nab them. Its like teams in our particular 'category' can't win for losing in recruiting circles.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Well, according to Hines' article today, uncomfortable might be an understatement. And I'm not disagreeing with posters on here at all.... that it happens all the time and why shouldn't ISU be able to get their most desired recruits and not 'settle' or keep a recruit 'hanging'? It would be impossible, I think, to know 'how many' offers to put out there to have enough to stiill get quality commits from, yet not to have to turn some away. Just the nasty business of recruiting. But I won't lie that its hard to have to read Hines quoting sources saying our reputation with D1 Minnesota will be very damaged. Could be a lot of preivious work, all for nothing. Surely other schools go through this same thing, don't they?? Heck, we've had plenty of recruits that we were in early on, may have even led for awhile , and then the blue bloods swept in at the tail end to nab them. Its like teams in our particular 'category' can't win for losing in recruiting circles.

I'd be more concerned if we'd ever pulled a recruit from Minnesota. Fred couldn't do it with all his connections there.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I was just glad to see another Hines article with un-named sources, seems to be his trademark.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Have any of you thought about asking the Russians or the Chinese to hack the athletic departments computers, phones and emails? :rolleyes:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

That reputation has gotten us zero prep kids from Minnesota since Jake Sullivan. Boo hoo D1 Minnesota.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Here is the article referenced by allfourcy: http://m.amestrib.com/hines-hoops/politics-pulled-offer

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am sure pulling Wright's offer hurts ISU with his AAU program. But hopefully they clearly explained things with Wright and his coaches. I can see where Wright would be bummed if ISU was his first choice- but IMO it is better ISU coaching staff made this decision before he started taking his visits.

If this is an isolated occurrence, I don't think it hurts ISU.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If D1 preferred that we lied to Wright then I'm not sure what you can say to them. I am curious how much love we were giving him right before we stopped. If it was an abrupt change it's hard to say anything to help.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I guess its not like that kind of happening in recruiting is uncommon. TH certainly didn't hold back on his take. Hopefully he didn't go out of his way to make things seem worse than they already were.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We've been burned so many times by twin cities kids it's not even worth it the first time around. I'd rather just poach them in the transfer market