Insurance Jobs in Des Moines

RynoISU

Oct 28, 2010
Urbandale, IA
I have been following Cyclone Fanatic for quite a while and have never had the nerve to post. I apologize for my first post being so self-serving, but my wife and I are planning on moving back to Iowa in the next few months and was wondering if anyone knew of any insurance job openings in the Des Moines area. I have 3 1/2 years or P&C Underwriting experience, but I would also be interested in sales or marketing. I do not currently have any licenses, but I plan on getting them in the near future. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I have been following Cyclone Fanatic for quite a while and have never had the nerve to post. I apologize for my first post being so self-serving, but my wife and I are planning on moving back to Iowa in the next few months and was wondering if anyone knew of any insurance job openings in the Des Moines area. I have 3 1/2 years or P&C Underwriting experience, but I would also be interested in sales or marketing. I do not currently have any licenses, but I plan on getting them in the near future. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

What are you specifically looking for in sales? Are you wanting personal lines, commercial, and are you wanting face to face or a call center type position?

RynoISU

Oct 28, 2010
Urbandale, IA
What are you specifically looking for in sales? Are you wanting personal lines, commercial, and are you wanting face to face or a call center type position?

Ideally, I would like a face to face sales job at an independent agency, selling Personal, Commercial, and Life/Health. At this point, I am open to anything that gets me back to Des Moines.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
If anyone is hiring an entry level actuarial position, message me please!

See I can be self serving too! :jimlad:

Good luck though, job hunting is no fun.

AnkenyClone

Jul 22, 2008
Ankeny

Thanks,

Aviva has a ton of openings and is growing very quickly in West Des Moines. You should be able to see openings posted on avivausa.com

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
My wife literally just hired a person on Monday otherwise I would have sent you that way.

Places to check though...

Aviva, Farm Bureau, Nationwide, Principal, Sammon's. That's just off the top of my head.

CLONECRAZY

Nov 28, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Stay away from Aviva, lot's of jobs because they can't keep anyone. Sister left a good job to work at Aviva, lasted 2 months, she left, went back to her old job. Farm Bureau is struggling big time, major lay offs last summer. If you want to sell check out statefarm.com. Tons of agents in DSM looking for good sales people too. Who knows you may even get your own agency??

clone0

Apr 10, 2006
Stay away from Aviva, lot's of jobs because they can't keep anyone. Sister left a good job to work at Aviva, lasted 2 months, she left, went back to her old job. Farm Bureau is struggling big time, major lay offs last summer. If you want to sell check out statefarm.com. Tons of agents in DSM looking for good sales people too. Who knows you may even get your own agency??

Farm Bureau didn't lay anybody off last summer and they aren't struggling, so quit starting false rumors.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Ideally, I would like a face to face sales job at an independent agency, selling Personal, Commercial, and Life/Health. At this point, I am open to anything that gets me back to Des Moines.

Sales jobs at Nationwide in DSM are in a call center, unless you can get into an agency as a trainee, and those jobs are not posted online, you need to submit a resume and see what happens. The jobs in DSM in the call center would be listed under NSS (Nationwide Sales Solutions). It is a call center, without no face to face interaction. I looked online through the internal website and it shows there is one opening for a Retention Agent. These agents are specifically there to retain business. They have a base salary and there is an incentive. They go through an 8 week training / licensing program and have two chances to pass their license exams. That is about all I know from that side since I don't work there, but now a few people who do. All I can tell you to do is apply and see what happens. If you want the salary, please PM me.

Nationwide Careers | Nationwide.com

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
If anyone is hiring an entry level actuarial position, message me please!

It's a pretty hard time for that. I've been working on switching careers from engineering and entering the actuarial field. I've passed the 1/P and 2/FM exams on my own, but I'm trying to avoid moving from CR so I've only been applying to Aegon so far. I have a good track record as a student and engineer, but five applications over the past 15 months has netted me exactly zero follow-up. Granted, four of those five were when I had only one exam.

At some point I may expand my search to include DSM companies but I'm not at that point yet. I'm just going to continue passing exams and applying to Aegon for now.

If anyone is an actuary or HR person at Aegon, message me please! :)

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
I am an insurance major at AIB, but anywho, we have the dean of students come in and turns out her husband is a insurance agent for John Deere Crop insurance. She said that they are always looking for new people because there is not very many people with experience in that field. They either have to steal agents from other places or train people. Since you some what have an insurance background this could help you. Maybe check into it.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
It's a pretty hard time for that. I've been working on switching careers from engineering and entering the actuarial field. I've passed the 1/P and 2/FM exams on my own, but I'm trying to avoid moving from CR so I've only been applying to Aegon so far. I have a good track record as a student and engineer, but five applications over the past 15 months has netted me exactly zero follow-up. Granted, four of those five were when I had only one exam.

At some point I may expand my search to include DSM companies but I'm not at that point yet. I'm just going to continue passing exams and applying to Aegon for now.

If anyone is an actuary or HR person at Aegon, message me please! :)

I feel your pain, I recently graduated with 4 exams but unfortunately was not able to get an internship so that really hurts me now while looking for one.

Are you planning on taking MFE or MLC in May?

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I don't know why anyone would say stay away from Aviva, I love it there.

Careers - Overview | Aviva USA

I agree. It has been four years now and I love it. Each area can be significantly different but even areas that some consider less desirable still have very competitive wages and are far and away better than similar departments at other companies.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I feel your pain, I recently graduated with 4 exams but unfortunately was not able to get an internship so that really hurts me now while looking for one.

Are you planning on taking MFE or MLC in May?

Probably either MFE in May or C in June. I have both sets of study materials. I haven't started studying for either one. I have a full-time job, a wife, and two young children, which makes finding study time a bit harder.