interesting petition quote

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Came across the following entry (#3179) in the online petition:

"I used to play with Lucca in one of the Urspring youth teams. What he did is the only right way in Germany to be able to play on a high level later on. Whe do not have these High-School sport-programms like you do in the US. Lucca once scored 102 points in one youth game,just to show you how bad the German youth-programm is.The idea of the Urspring/Ehingen Team is to get these talentet players out of these crap youth-leagues and let them play on a high level and still give them the oportunity to play college ball afterwards. With this decission the Urspring/Ehingen system is doomed to quit sooner or later."

I remember reading once (from a free article on CR, I think) that Lucca said he scored over 100 points in a game, but I thought he was joking. Wow! Of course, as the signee indicates, it's really because the German youth program is so awful.

I remember that Jake Sullivan scored 70+ in a junior high game, I think, too.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Well, right, I'm sure the league is awful, but not just anyone goes out and scores 100 points in one game. It might be terrible competition but that takes more than iota of skill, doesn't it?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I remember that Jake Sullivan scored 70+ in a junior high game, I think, too.

A friend of mine reffed that game, and if I remember correctly, it was something insane like 70 of the team's 74 pts. (My figures are probably wrong, but the point is Jake was a stud.)

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Its so true though, and one more reason why this is such a load of crap. They don't have anything comparable to U.S. high school basketball in Europe. If you want to play at a decent level you have to play on a club team. Its basically what the prep-school level in the U.S. would be like if there was no organized high-school basketball.

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Well, right, I'm sure the league is awful, but not just anyone goes out and scores 100 points in one game. It might be terrible competition but that takes more than iota of skill, doesn't it?
True. It's a major accomplishment for an entire high school team to score 100 points in 32 minutes, much more so for a single person.