Interesting question from another board....

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I was reading several message boards and on one of them somebody posed this question. Would you rather end up in a conference that gives you a better chance to win games (i.e. the MWC) or provides lots of cash (i.e. the new PAC 10)? I believe this individual was comparing CU shot at joining the PAC 10 where they will probably never finish above 13th in the league, but will be making a ton of money. So I ask is it more important to you for ISU to win, maybe go to the BCS, but make less money overall or be stuck in a conference where we see success maybe every few years or so, if at all, but make big time dollars?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Personally, for ISU, I would take the money. Money leads to winning if you have the right mentality, coaches, etc. I think ISU has it all right now, we just dont have the money to get us where everyone desires.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I was reading several message boards and on one of them somebody posed this question. Would you rather end up in a conference that gives you a better chance to win games (i.e. the MWC) or provides lots of cash (i.e. the new PAC 10)? I believe this individual was comparing CU shot at joining the PAC 10 where they will probably never finish above 13th in the league, but will be making a ton of money. So I ask is it more important to you for ISU to win, maybe go to the BCS, but make less money overall or be stuck in a conference where we see success maybe every few years or so, if at all, but make big time dollars?

If it meant going to the Big 10 or Pac 10, the decision is easy - go where the money is. Being in the Pac 10 or Big 10 would also protect our academic status which some people are convinced is in jeopardy in all this.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Depends whether or not the non-profit status is removed from college athletics.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Money -

Sports, particulary at ISU, are more than just fb. I aspire for ISU to be great in FB, but I see the obstacles to true greatness.

I CAN more readily see our BB programs, wrestling, volleyball and lesser sports be truely great. That takes cash. And, IMO, the prestige of a major conference with great exposure.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
paul clark comes over to cyclone fanatic to get ideas for his daily wipe!!!!!!!

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
I don't think people realize either that our pool to pick talent from will dwindle if we go to the MWC. We will be recruiting a different level of athlete.

I also agree w/ Jdoggivjc. Big 10 is an academic conference. Academic conferences help schools much more than having a good football team. We will lose that in the MWC. That in itself will hurt ISU more than anything.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I don't think people realize either that our pool to pick talent from will dwindle if we go to the MWC. We will be recruiting a different level of athlete.

I also agree w/ Jdoggivjc. Big 10 is an academic conference. Academic conferences help schools much more than having a good football team. We will lose that in the MWC. That in itself will hurt ISU more than anything.
Good points, I look at MWC as the unknown for ISU, do we really know what we can get out of it? Everything we see is how the conference sits with its current members, sometimes there are good things that can result from the unknown.

Oct 14, 2007
Ames
I think you will see a lot of fans unhappy with their teams situation in 6-8 years. Schools like A&M, Arizona State, Ok State, UCLA, etc., that could occasionally put together a 10 win season and make a run at a conference title are going to be pushed even farther down the pecking order in their conference. Now instead of 7 or 8 wins being the norm with 9 or 10 being considered really good, 6 or 7 wins becomes the norm with 8 or 9 being really good.