Introducing ME

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I have been reading this board for a long time. Finally decided to start posting.

I grew up in a Hawkeye home. I realized the errs of my family and made restiution by attending ISU. I was saved from a life of disgust and never attained expectations and now enjoy my life of love of cyclone atheletics. And Christmas at home is fun after we beat them hawks in football and basketball. I like proclaiming, it's a Cyclone State. It has been more than 20 years since my recovery began, and it is total complete. I see members of my family as hopelessly addicted. Worse yet, they are Cub fans as well and think this will be the year. Or next year will be the year. I have no similar delusions about ISU.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Welcome aboard FDCy83, I am going to make a leap of faith here and suppose you are from Ft. Dodge. If so, Lisa Koll is adorable and an Olympic hopeful, Kurtis Taylor may have an all conference senior year, and Nic Moser was monster safety that I wish we could have 2 of each year. Who else is from F.D.?

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I do live in Fort Dodge now, and have for about 7 years. Before that I was in the Story City area and good friends with the Pence family. Went to many games with them and sat in the parents section. I always thought Pence was under-rated when he played, but seems like the OL had trouble after he left. I have enjoyed hearing about the cyclones from Fort Dodge.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Welcome%20in%20the%20family%20SMALL2.jpg

SLCyclone

Apr 4, 2006
I lived in FD from 77 - 80, wow that seems like a long time ago! Also, I went to ICCC from 73 - 75....
Welcome aboard.

ISUFAN80

Mar 18, 2008
I also live in fort dodge. What do you think about this little town. I have lived here most of my life.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I also live in fort dodge. What do you think about this little town. I have lived here most of my life.

I would tell you what I think of this town, but it might require a move to the politics page. I look at this site at work when I am bored, which is most of the time.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Lived in Fort Dodge, didn't like it that much, but Welcome to ISU!!!

I think you'll like this board!!!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We used to live in Humboldt. I drove on the edge of Fort Dodge when I commuted to Ames.

Our daughter married into a Hawkeye family, even though none of them attended school there. Of their three kids, two got degrees from ISU and one of them and the third got degrees from UNI. At least they chose the correct post secondary educational path.

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
I would tell you what I think of this town, but it might require a move to the politics page. I look at this site at work when I am bored, which is most of the time.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Fort Dodge these days.

BTW, Mrs. MK is from Story City

Welcome :smile::smile:

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
My thoughts on Fort Dodge. I moved here because of a work transfer. The economy is really down in this area. The heads of the city government apparently havn't noticed because they seem to want to spend money on everything, even though they admit the current tax base will not support it. I believe they should stick to the basics of city management until the income in the budget exceeds the costs of the needs. Instead, they are talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars for a water park. We do not have the budget to maintain the parks we have let alone the streets, but they want to put in a water park. Also, they want special assessments on road repairs so the property owners will pay for 1/3 of the cost of rebuilding roads. This may sound good to some, but my example of living on a corner property, with two roads, and with the costs quoted as bids to repair roads this year, if both roads at my corner were repaired, the special assessment, spread over 10 years would be more than my current property tax bill. How is that a good idea?

Other concerns I have is a lack of entertainment. We have had a lot of fitness clubs open recently, but now the city has decided we need a new park, aside from the water park, with a fitness club built in. What a way to support local businesses, by competing with them.

I guess I will end my rant for now, but you asked.