Iowa loses top 2018 recruit

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Roman Bravo Young, Teske, Real Wood, Thomsen could all be solid light weights for Iowa State.

Just seems like the 165-184 pounders are tougher to find right now. That is why I think David Carr is priority #1 and maybe we can get one of the 2 VT recruits (Bolen or Lewis) to head our way. I believe they are 165 pounders

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
From what I know Iowa and Teske still had mutual interest. They never closed the door.

Ross, I assume "everybody" is after Thomsen but the last I had heard he's playing things pretty close to the vest. Have you heard any indications if he has narrowed the list of has a favorite?

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
Ross, I assume "everybody" is after Thomsen but the last I had heard he's playing things pretty close to the vest. Have you heard any indications if he has narrowed the list of has a favorite?

Nothing yet. I know Nebraska and Ohio State were in play, and Ohio state might have fallen out with the Decatur twins committing a while back.

He also said the following his sophomore season

In the fall you told Andy Hamilton that Iowa, Nebraska and Ohio State were on your list for colleges you liked. Are they all still in play and have any other colleges made their way into some of the schools you are interested in?

Yes I like those colleges, and they’d all be great to go to, but right now I have no idea where I want to go.

• Informative
Reactions: ca4cy

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You do realize this could come back to bite us in the ass too, right? **** rolls downhill, and right now...we are downhill.

It's mentioned above. When Iowa had Teasdale, they basically told Brody Teske they didn't have anymore money for that weight. Guess who did/does? We do.

Now that Teasdale is gone, Teske is a priority for Iowa, which could mean us losing out on a damn good kid...not just a wrestler. Teske is a leader, and I want him in Cardinal and Gold.

That got a lot tougher.

Maybe, but to steal a quote from Mallrats, "Small price to pay for the smiting of ones enemies!".

Reactions: Cyk Aboody

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Thought I read somewhere that Dresser to Iowa State opened up another option that Thomsen would be interested in.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Nothing yet. I know Nebraska and Ohio State were in play, and Ohio state might have fallen out with the Decatur twins committing a while back.

He also said the following his sophomore season

In the fall you told Andy Hamilton that Iowa, Nebraska and Ohio State were on your list for colleges you liked. Are they all still in play and have any other colleges made their way into some of the schools you are interested in?

Yes I like those colleges, and they’d all be great to go to, but right now I have no idea where I want to go.

Thanks for the info.

Thought I read somewhere that Dresser to Iowa State opened up another option that Thomsen would be interested in.

That would be a huge get. Fingers crossed.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Has to be some pretty heady stuff for a HS kid to get blasted by a World and Olympic champion.

Or was Burroughs blasting PSU, who already had a stud at that weight in that class and just recruited over him?

A bunch of people are taking this to indicate "dirty" in the sense of recruiting violations or things like that. But I've yet to actually see anything beyond him being accused of still going after guys who are verbally committed somewhere. Which is just normal college recruiting. Until a guy signs the dotted line he's fair game.

• Agree
Reactions: HGoat

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
We are set from 133-149

Gomez
Simmons
Parker
Storr
Verkleeren
Leisure

I really like Vega but will he ever be big enough for 125? He MUST dedicate himself in the wt room. Really hope we go hard at Teske. Assuming he projects at 125. Alec Thompsen will be too big for 125 more likely 133 in college.

157, 165, 184 and 125 are the weights we need to focus on.

2019-20 season assuming all stays.....

125 Teske rFR/Vega rJR
133 Gomez rSO/Parker rJR
141 Storr rJR/Parker rJR
149 Verkleeren rSO/Leisure rSO
157 ???
165 ???
174 Coleman rSO
184 ???
197 Colbray rJR
285 Gremmel rJR

• Agree
Reactions: 6scrapper7

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The epicenter of college wrestling (at least D1) has moved from Iowa and Oklahoma to Pennsylvania and Ohio in the last 10 years. Iowa used to be the place where studs would wait in line to take partial scholarships and lesser recruits would pass up scholarships elsewhere to wait 3 years to crack the lineup. Now, Penn State has top 10 overall recruits taking partials, and maybe waiting to crack the line up. It's tough to argue with 5 guys in a row winning titles at PSU and all talking about how much fun they're having.

In the recruiting and talent arms race, Penn State is stockpiling at a level above everyone else.

I'd maybe throw Minney in there for a bit too.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I'd maybe throw Minney in there for a bit too.

You can say that geographically but they never had the dominant run of titles the way Iowa and Oklahoma teams did. Damn strong, top 5 type program for a long time but at no point would anybody ever say Minnesota was the center of the wrestling universe like they would Iowa State/Oky State long ago, Iowa/Oky State more recently, or PSU now.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
We are set from 133-149

Gomez
Simmons
Parker
Storr
Verkleeren
Leisure

I really like Vega but will he ever be big enough for 125? He MUST dedicate himself in the wt room. Really hope we go hard at Teske. Assuming he projects at 125. Alec Thompsen will be too big for 125 more likely 133 in college.

157, 165, 184 and 125 are the weights we need to focus on.

2019-20 season assuming all stays.....

125 Teske rFR/Vega rJR
133 Gomez rSO/Parker rJR
141 Storr rJR/Parker rJR
149 Verkleeren rSO/Leisure rSO
157 ???
165 ???
174 Coleman rSO
184 ???
197 Colbray rJR
285 Gremmel rJR

ISU already has two commitments for 2018 with Weston DiBlasi and Kamali and both will be ranked in the Top 5 or so of their weight classes next year. Both are planning on being career 125-pounders and were in St. Louis wearing ISU gear. Will ISU take Teske sure but I doubt if they are going to throw the farm at him. Also Thomsen is probably being recruited as 125-pounder that could potentially be a 133-pounder. He really hasn't grown much since HS just thicker. (I see I'm a few minutes late)

Also, Straw (yes, he is/planning on being back), C. DiBlasi as well as Baptista will still be around in '19-'20. The recruiting needs are 165-285 as we need more high level depth. I'm sure Carr is the top priority followed closely by Sasso assuming he is still growing.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
You can say that geographically but they never had the dominant run of titles the way Iowa and Oklahoma teams did. Damn strong, top 5 type program for a long time but at no point would anybody ever say Minnesota was the center of the wrestling universe like they would Iowa State/Oky State long ago, Iowa/Oky State more recently, or PSU now.
They do have the best HS wrestling program that I have ever seen. The sheer amount of difference makers that graduate from Apple Valley every year is ridiculous.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Cael will dominate until he retires. Everyone else is fighting 2nd place.

It has that feel to it but some were saying the same thing once John Smith figured things out and had Oky State rolling in the early-mid '00s. The first round of Cael's disciples will be getting out into the coaching ranks in the next 10 years so it will be interesting to see where they land. Nobody from the Gable tree was really able to knock him off his perch and it's hard to imagine what would derail Cael/PSU. The recruiting base and the money aren't going anywhere and his legend is only growing now as a coach.

So basically I spent a paragraph rambling only to agree with you in the end.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron