Iowa loses top 2018 recruit

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
They do have the best HS wrestling program that I have ever seen. The sheer amount of difference makers that graduate from Apple Valley every year is ridiculous.

Agree that Apple Valley is an absolute juggernaut, but St. Ed's or St. Paris Graham in Ohio could make about as strong a statement. I need to rewatch the finals but I thought I heard them say that one of them (I think it was St. Eds) has had at least one D1 AA each of the last 25 years.

Also, I did specify D1 in my original statement. Iowa is probably still the strongest in the lower levels if you look at JUCO (Iowa Central) NAIA (Grand View) and DIII (Wartburg)

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
It has that feel to it but some were saying the same thing once John Smith figured things out and had Oky State rolling in the early-mid '00s. The first round of Cael's disciples will be getting out into the coaching ranks in the next 10 years so it will be interesting to see where they land. Nobody from the Gable tree was really able to knock him off his perch and it's hard to imagine what would derail Cael/PSU. The recruiting base and the money aren't going anywhere and his legend is only growing now as a coach.

So basically I spent a paragraph rambling only to agree with you in the end.
I honestly think we are nearing the final stop on the college sports rights cash cow. It has severely overstretched the world wide leader in sports, and I just cant see sports rights packages continuing to go up in the current climate. When they start to decline it will be the non traditional sports like wrestling that takes the brunt of the cuts. That being said it would still be tough for a school like Penn St to defund a program that is more successful than the UConn women's team.

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I honestly think we are nearing the final stop on the college sports rights cash cow. It has severely overstretched the world wide leader in sports, and I just cant see sports rights packages continuing to go up in the current climate. When they start to decline it will be the non traditional sports like wrestling that takes the brunt of the cuts. That being said it would still be tough for a school like Penn St to defund a program that is more successful the UConn women's team.

You're probably right about the tv contracts reaching their limit. It'll be interesting to see if the next wave is individual schools or conferences negotiating ala carte type deals with Google or something to that effect. Blum did a great article about that on here a while back.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/2016/10/blum-big-12-the-conference-of-the-future/

The money I was talking about was the donor money that built up the facilities and lured Cael out there in the first place. From what I've heard PSU has some heavy, HEAVY hitters backing the wrestling program and I can't imagine that money dries up now that they're getting the results they've craved for decades.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Cael will dominate until he retires. Everyone else is fighting 2nd place.
Even the mighty Gable and Iowa in their prime eventually got beat. It just so happens that Iowa State was the team to beat Gable and his team and stop the streak. I'm an optimist and believe that Dresser will have history repeat itself. I truly believe that he will prove to be the best coach in the state and eventually ISU be winning the majority of head to head battles with the Hawks on the mat and in recruiting. Dresser is Gable trained (just like TnT) yet much more personable, less extreme and has proven he can develop his guys. The Brands (TnT) extreme personalities turn some parents and wrestlers off.

Plus IF Pitt hires a quality coach then PSU will have some more competition for some of those stud PA recruits. Besides that OSU, tOSU, and ASU aren't going anywhere and they will be aiming to knock Cael and PSU off the top of the mountain.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
ISU already has two commitments for 2018 with Weston DiBlasi and Kamali and both will be ranked in the Top 5 or so of their weight classes next year. Both are planning on being career 125-pounders and were in St. Louis wearing ISU gear. Will ISU take Teske sure but I doubt if they are going to throw the farm at him. Also Thomsen is probably being recruited as 125-pounder that could potentially be a 133-pounder. He really hasn't grown much since HS just thicker. (I see I'm a few minutes late)

Also, Straw (yes, he is/planning on being back), C. DiBlasi as well as Baptista will still be around in '19-'20. The recruiting needs are 165-285 as we need more high level depth. I'm sure Carr is the top priority followed closely by Sasso assuming he is still growing.
Is Weston really going to be a career 125? I haven't seen his parents, but if he is Colston's brother, he likely has possibility to grow? Also, I believe he wrestled 132 a couple years ago. Not arguing, but just questioning. Proper analysis of projecting a recruits future weight was an area where KJ fell short.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Agree that Apple Valley is an absolute juggernaut, but St. Ed's or St. Paris Graham in Ohio could make about as strong a statement. I need to rewatch the finals but I thought I heard them say that one of them (I think it was St. Eds) has had at least one D1 AA each of the last 25 years.

Also, I did specify D1 in my original statement. Iowa is probably still the strongest in the lower levels if you look at JUCO (Iowa Central) NAIA (Grand View) and DIII (Wartburg)

I disagree with his comment. Until basically this year with one champ and two finalists, AV really hasn't turned out a lot of college studs despite being such a great HS program.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.

Pretty sure it was St. Ed's and I thought they said the streak was in the 30s which is just insane. Planning on watching the finals again at some point so I'll definitely listen for it to confirm.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.

Pretty sure it was St. Ed's and I thought they said the streak was in the 30s which is just insane. Planning on watching the finals again at some point so I'll definitely listen for it to confirm.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article...a-tournament-all-american-streak#.WNLrmfkrLIU

Nevermind found it. Flo is awesome.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Although a quality wrestler there is NO way W DeBlasi is anywhere close to Top 5 in his weight. He's not even top 20 right now. I've watched a lot of his film and I just don't see it. Now the Michigan kid has some skill but again he is in the top 15 range at 113 as a junior. Compare that to Vega who was a top 3 at 113 and was a Junior triple crown winner at the same age. He committed to Grand Canyon out of HS b4 they cut their program. Now Teske is 30 minutes away from Ames and IS CURRENTLY a top 5 at his weight now. Settling for these kids and not going after the top kids will not put us where we need to be. We have to raise our standard of recruiting. There is no way in Hell Q Smith should have been our #1 heavy for the past 4 years just for example.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Has to be some pretty heady stuff for a HS kid to get blasted by a World and Olympic champion.

Or was Burroughs blasting PSU, who already had a stud at that weight in that class and just recruited over him?

Ha! Burrough's didn't have anything to say when Jason Renteria verbally committed to Iowa, de-committed, then flipped to the huskers.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Although a quality wrestler there is NO way W DeBlasi is anywhere close to Top 5 in his weight. He's not even top 20 right now. I've watched a lot of his film and I just don't see it. Now the Michigan kid has some skill but again he is in the top 15 range at 113 as a junior. Compare that to Vega who was a top 3 at 113 and was a Junior triple crown winner at the same age. He committed to Grand Canyon out of HS b4 they cut their program. Now Teske is 30 minutes away from Ames and IS CURRENTLY a top 5 at his weight now. Settling for these kids and not going after the top kids will not put us where we need to be. We have to raise our standard of recruiting. There is no way in Hell Q Smith should have been our #1 heavy for the past 4 years just for example.

Weston is not ranked because he wasn't able to wrestle at State due to a teammate getting him in trouble. Nothing major but the short suspension was at a bad time. He was around #15 at the time. On the rankings I stated "will be" as I'm looking ahead after this years seniors graduate. I'm not saying they will not go after Teske as I know they are. I'm justing saying I doubt if we will offer as much as he may get elsewhere but I have no inside information on his recruitment. We have more pressing needs in the mid & upper weights but if we can get him at a reasonable price then yes we need to take him and let the cream rise to the top. The issue in the past has been overpaying for recruits and when they don't pan out (not all do) then you are hosed. Hopefully, KD will be wiser and craftier.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Definitely need 157- 184. Only Coleman in that range and maybe Leisure at 157 now with the Verkleeren decommit

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
The epicenter of college wrestling (at least D1) has moved from Iowa and Oklahoma to Pennsylvania and Ohio in the last 10 years. Iowa used to be the place where studs would wait in line to take partial scholarships and lesser recruits would pass up scholarships elsewhere to wait 3 years to crack the lineup. Now, Penn State has top 10 overall recruits taking partials, and maybe waiting to crack the line up. It's tough to argue with 5 guys in a row winning titles at PSU and all talking about how much fun they're having.

In the recruiting and talent arms race, Penn State is stockpiling at a level above everyone else.
Like the UCONN gals.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Weston is not ranked because he wasn't able to wrestle at State due to a teammate getting him in trouble. Nothing major but the short suspension was at a bad time. He was around #15 at the time. On the rankings I stated "will be" as I'm looking ahead after this years seniors graduate. I'm not saying they will not go after Teske as I know they are. I'm justing saying I doubt if we will offer as much as he may get elsewhere but I have no inside information on his recruitment. We have more pressing needs in the mid & upper weights but if we can get him at a reasonable price then yes we need to take him and let the cream rise to the top. The issue in the past has been overpaying for recruits and when they don't pan out (not all do) then you are hosed. Hopefully, KD will be wiser and craftier.
Not sure how overpaying for a recruit hurts you in the long run. Scholarships are redistributed every year. If they don't pan out, they don't get a scholly. If they do well, you try to give them more, especially out of state kids.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Not sure how overpaying for a recruit hurts you in the long run. Scholarships are redistributed every year. If they don't pan out, they don't get a scholly. If they do well, you try to give them more, especially out of state kids.
I would guess that it depends on your philosophy on pulling or lowering scholarships. From what I have read about Q I would guess that he was on a pretty big scholarship and it was never cut. Personally I'd be careful not to get a bad reputation by pulling or lowering scholarships too quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I would guess that it depends on your philosophy on pulling or lowering scholarships. From what I have read about Q I would guess that he was on a pretty big scholarship and it was never cut. Personally I'd be careful not to get a bad reputation by pulling or lowering scholarships too quickly.
I worded my previous post poorly. I didn't mean pull a scholarship completely, but they are definitely adjusted and are often done so. I would assume this is done in most if not all programs. Many times you are talking about going from a 1/2 to a 1/3 or 1/4.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron