Iowa loses top 2018 recruit

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Not sure how overpaying for a recruit hurts you in the long run. Scholarships are redistributed every year. If they don't pan out, they don't get a scholly. If they do well, you try to give them more, especially out of state kids.
This is not necessary true. NCAA passed a rule in the last few years that you can not lower scholarship % based on performance. You can reduce it based on breaking team/school rules, bad behavior, etc. I'm sure if performance is bad enough a coach can come up with some other reason to reduce scholarship but definitely not as easy as it used to be. Kind of off topic but KD will need to upgrade the ISU camps major time to compete with the powers. How you think PSU is getting all of these kids? Don't kid yourself if you don't think they are being compensated as well as or better than if they go to a different school.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
This is not necessary true. NCAA passed a rule in the last few years that you can not lower scholarship % based on performance. You can reduce it based on breaking team/school rules, bad behavior, etc. I'm sure if performance is bad enough a coach can come up with some other reason to reduce scholarship but definitely not as easy as it used to be. Kind of off topic but KD will need to upgrade the ISU camps major time to compete with the powers. How you think PSU is getting all of these kids? Don't kid yourself if you don't think they are being compensated as well as or better than if they go to a different school.

Are you saying these PSU wrestlers are making pretty good money by working camps?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that was only in season - you can't cut a guy's scholarship because he loses the starting spot midseason or something. But each year is a clean slate.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that was only in season - you can't cut a guy's scholarship because he loses the starting spot midseason or something. But each year is a clean slate.
That is how it used to be. I don't know how the new NCAA rule is applied to wrestling. I believe the NCAA rule where scholarships can't be reduced is for the Power 5 conferences. Since wrestling doesn't have the traditional Power 5 conferences, I am not sure how that rule effects wrestling.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Csteve is correct, you aren't supposed to be able reduce scholarship based on performance. They can for academic performance or social behavior. At the end of the day though, coaches always get their way. Both academic performance and social behaviour are subjective terms, so coaches can apply them anyway they want.

Not uncommon for coaches to bring guys in on a certain % scholly, then schools ask to reduce it the next year "for the team". Or they'll reduce without asking because you got a B in a certain class or they saw a picture of you drinking a beer. Its a cutthroat business. There are tons of nasty stories out there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cnems07 and csteve