Iowa State Fair-Craft Beer

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Checked it out today. Not everything on the list is available. They have about 20 taps of the high end stuff and it doesn’t change until they blow a tap.
I had:
Majestic Beast- this may be the best neipa I’ve ever had. Lion Bridge did good.
The rest were from the regular list.
Court Ave Tropical Smoothie-haven’t had any Court Ave beer for quite awhile but this makes me want to try more.
Thew Big Boar- solid pale ale
BigGrove Arms Race- ok
Granite City Fog Drift neipa- nope
FYI Court Ave is a huge reason the Craft Beer Tent is around.

Reactions: baller21

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Checked it out today. Not everything on the list is available. They have about 20 taps of the high end stuff and it doesn’t change until they blow a tap.
I had:
Court Ave Tropical Smoothie-haven’t had any Court Ave beer for quite awhile but this makes me want to try more.
BigGrove Arms Race- ok

I'm not seeing anything called tropical smoothie from Court Ave. Are you sure it was from them?

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
I was a long time Court Ave mug clubber, but I gave it up several years ago because they got kind of boring with all of the other options. I had one of their fruited NEIPAs on Ragbrai and it was fantastic.

Scott the CABco. owner is one of the the Iowa Craft Brew tent owners.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I had:
BigGrove Arms Race- ok
Do you recall what the pricing was for the regular and high end?

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Would be nice if TG would have sent some more options, but overall I think it's a well rounded list. Barntown has a pickle beer (Pickle Tickle) at another tent, so this isn't a all encompassing list of craft beers at the fair. Probably wasn't too long ago when our options were bud, bud light or busch light.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
WjZf64l.jpg

Thoughts? Seems a little weak but ok.

A few on here I've had and like:

Lake Time PB Putter
Rook's Breakfast Porter
TG Psuedo Sue
Singlespeed Tip the Cow
Alluvia Helix (If available)

Maybe try Big Boar Pale Ale from Thew and Earth, Wind, and Fruit from Court Ave.

Wanted to try something from PIVO but neither of these are up my ally.
Tip the Cow is such a good beer

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Would be nice if TG would have sent some more options, but overall I think it's a well rounded list. Barntown has a pickle beer (Pickle Tickle) at another tent, so this isn't a all encompassing list of craft beers at the fair. Probably wasn't too long ago when our options were bud, bud light or busch light.
I plan on trying that beer out today, I'll report back.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The lake time hobenero is one of the best spicy beers I've had but one is enough .

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

If you’re at the fair today you can try pickle tickle for free from 1-5 courtesy of MidAmerican.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Highlight of the craft beer tent for me this year was Batch 1122 hazy dipa from Confluence and Alluvials Mosacious. The rest I sampled was underwhelming.