Iowa State in Puerto Rico Shootout in 2017

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I like it! I've been wanting to do one of these for a while now but thanksgiving weekend is not good for someone who works in wholesale. Plus I need some beaches in my life. How warm is PR that time of year?

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
its nice to get back on the espn tourney schedule. we could schedule home-homes with UCLA, Kentucky, and Duke and people would complain about it here.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Well that is extremely underwelming. Might have something to do with how many players we are losing in 2017. Hopefully our recruits find going to Puerto Rico interesting.

No national powers, but it looks like solid teams that most could beat ISU if the play well. FSU is strong. USC teams under Frank Martin are scrappy. I believe BSU was an NCAA team. Ill State has been a solid MVC team, Tulsa is traditionally pushing for an NCAA berth and UTEP under Floyd can have good teams.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I like it! I've been wanting to do one of these for a while now but thanksgiving weekend is not good for someone who works in wholesale. Plus I need some beaches in my life. How warm is PR that time of year?

Don't know if it matters in your situation but this tournament is actually week before thanksgiving. Nov 17,18,20

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Don't know if it matters in your situation but this tournament is actually week before thanksgiving. Nov 17,18,20
Yeah thats what I was getting at. this has potential in my case

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
No national powers, but it looks like solid teams that most could beat ISU if the play well. FSU is strong. USC teams under Frank Martin are scrappy. I believe BSU was an NCAA team. Ill State has been a solid MVC team, Tulsa is traditionally pushing for an NCAA berth and UTEP under Floyd can have good teams.

Well ya these teams should be competitive with Iowa state considering what our roster will be in 2017. Besides that though it is a weak field. Iowa state has been to 2 sweet 16''s in the last 3 years and is consistently a top 25 now for the last 3 years. Iowa State is miles ahead of these all these teams on the national scale.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Perfect type of tournament for a very young and inexperienced team.

Do you think this works better than challenging the young guys? I could see positives from both sides. Michigan state and some others seem to have a lot of success really changing their players early on. Of course something less challenging could be good to build confidence in the new players.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
Do you think this works better than challenging the young guys? I could see positives from both sides. Michigan state and some others seem to have a lot of success really changing their players early on. Of course something less challenging could be good to build confidence in the new players.

Challenging the young guys is one thing, scheduling Michigan State next year and getting whooped by 40 is far more detrimental that it is positive.

Next year we should schedule the cupcakes and get some confidence heading into the Conference season, while it isnt has fun, the Big 12 provides plenty of marquee games.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
"Puerto Rico has one of the most unvarying climates in the world. Temperatures year-round range from 75° to 85°F"

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
no passport and they use US bucks

San Juan is nice but rent a car and see the island.

Northeast on the island is tropical 150+ inches of rain / year

southwest is desert under 10 inches. such a cool place

Also...for a couple bucks you can take a ferry to the smaller islands off the East coast, Vieques is amazing, I wanna say the ferry was around 5 bucks round trip.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Not sure if San Juan will actually be able to host this event. They moved this year's event to Orlando.

I wish I can go down to Orlando this year. It was so much fun spending Thanksgiving in Destin last year with Cyclones.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
You're not allowed to call it a shootout.

..at least not in the US. Good thing it's in Puerto Rico