Iron Fist - Netflix

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm in the process of watching Luke Cage...and that series has more plot holes than there are pot holes on Iowa roads in Winter. I am REALLY struggling to get through it. This makes me think that Iron Fist is probably ****.

I REALLY LOVE Daredevil, I can enjoy parts of Jessica Jones, and I am utterly unconvinced with Luke Cage. Coupled with the comments here, it looks like I should skip Iron Fist.
I liked cottonmouth and the music of Luke Cage, the rest was pretty below par. Iron Fist is worse IMO, but I muscled through it so I can enjoy the defender series

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I'm wondering if the fighting choreography looks rough because it is supposed to be more "realistic" kung fu. All the other Marvel-Netflix shows deal with heavy-hitting and realistic fighting styles that are very chaotic in nature. I'm wondering if they wanted a similar flair for Iron Fist, otherwise a more fluid fighting-style may look like he's over-powered compared to the other Defenders? I'm still only 4 episodes in, but Colleen Wing is the perfect example of this so far - she is very well-trained, but she doesn't look like she is over-powered in the fight scenes I have seen her in thus far. There are even flaws in her technique that have been exploited, and I'm sure they will be exploited again in the show. I'm excited to get to the episode that the RZA directed to see if my guess is correct - that dude knows his kung fu, so it will be interesting to see what kind of choreography is used in that episode.
"Realistic kung-fu"...except for, you know, that whole glowing, unbreakable fist thing. lol

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
It was just bad. If any show should be extremely impressive on martial arts choreography, it should be Iron Fist because he is supposed to be the most skilled of them all. Not only should very few people even be able to fight against him, but his technique, speed, and fighter intelligence should be unmatched. Unfortunately, Daredevil has better fight sequences in a dozen places than any fight scene in this series which is THE biggest problem this show had but not it's only one.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Its not a bad series, had some unique twists that I didnt see coming. I liked it and would watch it again before I ever watched a second of Luke Cage. Dare Devil set really high expectations for these series, while Iron Fist wasnt a home run (the writing was not great at all) it was a good watch.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Man, seems to be a lot of people on youtube who thought this series was good. Maybe I have been overly critical. To each their own I guess.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
It dawned on me that I figured out who kills the Iron Fist. his weakness is wildfire ;)
giphy.gif

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think one of the biggest differences between this and the other Defender series is that I really liked the main characters in the others and just felt kind of meh about Danny

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Man, seems to be a lot of people on youtube who thought this series was good. Maybe I have been overly critical. To each their own I guess.
Well I'm on episode 9 and I agree with you. I'm struggling to get through right now, and like you I'm more interested in how the Ward and Joy story lines play out than the main character's story. I think the main guy is a pretty bad actor and there's some terrible writing too. The fight choreography is not good either. Overall it's definitely the worst of the Netflix series' so far.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Well I'm on episode 9 and I agree with you. I'm struggling to get through right now, and like you I'm more interested in how the Ward and Joy story lines play out than the main character's story. I think the main guy is a pretty bad actor and there's some terrible writing too. The fight choreography is not good either. Overall it's definitely the worst of the Netflix series' so far.
Yeah you hit on my three criticisms (main actor, fight scenes, dialogue). I do think it gets better the last half of the season but there is just a lot wrong with it. Even if it just had better fight scenes that would have made it much more fun to watch.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I am four episodes in, binge watched last night. Agree with the sentiment so far that the main character (actor) is a dud, the dialogue is not very good, and the fight scenes aren't up to what Marvel had been doing. I just have no interest in rooting for (or against?) Danny. Watching / hearing him spout of these Buddhist maxims from time to time is...unconvincing at best.

All that said, I am basically enjoying it in spite of the stated weaknesses and do intend to finish the series.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I just started episode 10 this morning. I have found the series to be somewhat enjoyable, and I think it may be due to the fact that I'm spacing out the episodes and I'm watching the episodes as background noise while I do other chores/projects around my house. I'm getting the gist of the show and have watched a majority of it on my phone, which I think may set my expectations far lower than if I were to dedicate an evening watching this on my TV.

Like everyone else has stated, Finn Jones is terribly cast as Danny Rand. The writing isn't doing him any favors, but his acting is wooden and emotionless, the action is slow and I still have no idea who the "Iron Fist" is and what his role is.

This show clearly has an issue with the writing because Rosario Dawson's character is just as poorly written, and I didn't feel that way when she was added in Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. She honestly doesn't even need to be featured in the show. Her presence is clearly an attempt to bridge the show to the Defender's series, but all she does is take up space in the background.

There are two characters that I find myself really liking: Colleen Wing and, surprisingly, Ward Meachum. Colleen obviously has had the best action scenes, has the best on-camera presence, and has a more-compelling story than Danny Rand. Ward Meachum on the other hand has the most complex story of any of the characters on the show. I won't get into spoilers for people like Trigger that haven't seen it yet, but I find his character to be the most believable of the entire cast and I find myself drawn in to his story arch more than anyone else.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I've watched all the Marvel Netflix shows other than Iron Fist, and enjoyed them all, but I just don't have time to waste on this one after such universally bad reviews (or lukewarm at best). Too much other good content out there.

So if you're in the same situation as me, but still want to be caught up for The Defenders series, this article is for you: http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-the-important-stuff-that-happens-in-iron-fist-so-1793445273

• Funny

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Right as it was getting good too. Hopefully the talk of disney putting it on its service pans out.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I don’t hate this decision tbh. I think it would be great if Coleen crosses over into other shows but doubt it happens. Finn doomed this show from the start.
I'd love for her and Misty to get a show