ISU Beats UCONN Retrospective

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I remember the 2009 NCAA Tourney better than 1999 as I was too busy working, raising, kids, and some distance from Ames for the earlier season. It was a brilliant time with Sweet 16 upset of Michigan State and their tall star.
Michigan State was just the 9 seed when we beat them in the Sweet 16 in Berkeley. They'd had a huge upset of #1 seed Duke to advance to play ISU. But scoring the final 9 points of the game to win by one in the last minute and a half is an experience no less miraculous or fantastical! Our "once a decade press" as Fennelly called it. :cool:

wbbnut

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan State was just the 9 seed when we beat them in the Sweet 16 in Berkeley. They'd had a huge upset of #1 seed Duke to advance to play ISU. But scoring the final 9 points of the game to win by one in the last minute and a half is an experience no less miraculous or fantastical! Our "once a decade press" as Fennelly called it. :cool:
Loved that game and Coach Suzy Merchant face when we made all those points at the last -- She was in absolute shock.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Man I don't remember being down by so much against Santa Clara.

It's still so devastating that we lost Mo at just 40 years old. She literally is the foundation of what ISU wbb is today.

I didn't know she passed....she was a part of that group that first got me really excited about ISU WBB. The group we have today still carries that excitement.

Reactions: acoustimac