ISU Lawsuit - Sex Discrimination

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/article_5aba56ee-1494-11e7-a4ba-730ba3dcdf07.html

Laura Smarandescu, who formerly served as an assistant professor in marketing, said that she was forced to leave Iowa State after her application for promotion to tenure was denied – a process in which she felt she faced wrongful and unlawful discriminatory conduct.
In fall 2015, the appeals committee "agreed with [Smarandescu] and voted 22-2 that the tenure process was flawed and in violation of the Faculty Handbook.

The committee recommended that Smarandescu's tenure process be redone, according to court documents, and that she be offered an extension of her employment contract.

On Nov. 3, 2015, however, Leath denied the recommendation of the appeals committee to redo the tenure process and extend her contract.

Because of the denial of her tenure application and Iowa State's policy, Smarandescu was then forced to leave her employment at Iowa State within six months, according to court documents.

It seems strange that Leath would overturn the appeals committee's decision? I wonder what made him do that?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
It seems strange that Leath would overturn the appeals committee's decision? I wonder what made him do that?

Any chance that it had to do with not wanting to extend the contract? Seems really shi%&y, but not something that would surprise me.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Any chance that it had to do with not wanting to extend the contract? Seems really shi%&y, but not something that would surprise me.

The suit alleges that her qualifications and production are as good or better than other (male) assistant professors in her school who did get promoted into tenure.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah.. would be interesting to hear the other side, but along with the Bubu case this is another lawsuit that came about because he overruled the procedures before him.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
What's all involved in a tenure application? Is it strictly just time and qualifications, or is there other stuff considered (acheivements, reviews, interviews, performance, recommendations etc.)?

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
What's all involved in a tenure application? Is it strictly just time and qualifications, or is there other stuff considered (acheivements, reviews, interviews, performance, recommendations etc.)?

Yes to all of that.

The tenure process *is* flawed. Thus the need for an appeals committee.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I guess I don't know about this one. I looked her up on rate my professor and the reviews weren't great. I read she was in charge of marketing research and that was poor when I had to deal with it. I don't know who all has tenure but she doesn't seem like an exceptional candidate by any means.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
be interested to read more details. I'd imagine that making a move like this gets you labeled as.........."difficult" to other universities hiring and thus you wouldn't want to do so lightly.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I guess I don't know about this one. I looked her up on rate my professor and the reviews weren't great. I read she was in charge of marketing research and that was poor when I had to deal with it. I don't know who all has tenure but she doesn't seem like an exceptional candidate by any means.

If only Rate My Professor went towards tenure. Im sure only like 10 prof would be tenured then.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
If only Rate My Professor went towards tenure. Im sure only like 10 prof would be tenured then.
If students decided who their teachers were, school wouldn't exist.

Although I did follow RMP religiously with good success.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/article_5aba56ee-1494-11e7-a4ba-730ba3dcdf07.html

The promotion and tenure process is both secretive and cruel. There are all sorts of details that we do not have access to. Based upon my experience on the P/T track, and serving on P/T committees for others, this could be 1) details about her teaching, 2) her interactions with colleagues, 3) her publication/grant record, or 4) the Administration seeing an opportunity to drop a salary and benefits during a time of budget cuts.

She could be totally in the right, or a bad prof that needed to be weeded out. We don't know. But the P/T process is unnecessarily long and cruel, IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
It isn't some damning thing but I've found it to be relatively accurate on the teaching front. I'm sure there are teachers with poor grades on there that are excellent at their job and teachers with good grades that aren't good but I'm just saying the information that is available leads me to believe this is far from a slam dunk.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron