ISU vs #19 Vandy (WBB) Game Thread

j_crow

Oct 24, 2007
Ames, IA
Yep...that's about it. We had to lose eventually, and at least it's against a Top-25 team. Hope to see you all at the game on Friday and then especially against the Hawks! :yes:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Does ISU have a low post game this year, or will it be primarily live and die by how the guards shoot? It looks like ISU has been getting at least a few points from the forwards.

j_crow

Oct 24, 2007
Ames, IA
I'd say the primary contribution our posts give is their ability to rebound. While Vandy might've out-rebounded us in this game, the only reason we were in it in the first half was all of the offensive rebounds we were getting. With that said, Wieben and Ross are at our near double-digit points in every game. You're right, though. I don't see us winning very many games when our guards can't score like they couldn't tonight...

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You're right, though. I don't see us winning very many games when our guards can't score like they couldn't tonight...

Well, that might not be very good news come Big 12 time. In the past, the physical play of the Big 12 has been very tough on ISU guards...they've gotten banged pretty hard.

j_crow

Oct 24, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, that might not be very good news come Big 12 time. In the past, the physical play of the Big 12 has been very tough on ISU guards...they've gotten banged pretty hard.

The one plus is that our guards should be more of a match for physicality this year, as you've got Lacey who will almost always have a size advantage and Stuckey who's very quick and fairly physical herself.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think the problem today wasnt exactly just the guards.. from the sounds of things we missed alot of open lay ups and easy jump shots.. also we need to be able to box out better on free throws and on long shots..
everything is fixable.. and i think the team will be fine.. we played a Vandy team that is very good and was in the elite 8 last year (might want to double check that but im pretty sure thats what i heard)

Team will learn from the mistakes and continue to improve