ISU's academic rankings decline continues

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
The THE World University Rankings were released today, and Iowa State has dropped to the 401-500 ranked bracket. For reference, ISU was ranked 156 in 2011. Comparatively, Iowa was ranked 132 in 2011, and 201-250 in 2021.

Expect to see similar declines in the US News rankings when they are released on September 14th.

ISU is now the lowest ranked AAU university.

This is the result of over a decade of disinvestment in higher education by the Iowa state government.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Usually when college populations explode, they drop schools hard in those things. Gee, has ISU gained much for students the last 10-15 years?

Reactions: candg4ever

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
Usually when college populations explode, they drop schools hard in those things. Gee, has ISU gained much for students the last 10-15 years?

Enrollment increases do affect some criteria indirectly. That explains part of the decline.

The main cause is no secret. Look at the state's history of investment in higher education. State government has consistently failed to provide Regent's universities with funding that is even close to budget requests. The causes are many but this is by far the most significant driver of the decline.

A drop like this over a single decade is not caused by increased population alone. Not to mention ISU is down 4,000 students from its peak enrollment.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Maybe, but Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota Indiana are all larger in our AAU region and outrank us substantially.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Enrollment increases do affect some criteria indirectly. That explains part of the decline.

The main cause is no secret. Look at the state's history of investment in higher education. State government has consistently failed to provide Regent's universities with funding that is even close to budget requests. The causes are many but this is by far the most significant driver of the decline.

A drop like this over a single decade is not caused by increased population alone. Not to mention ISU is down 4,000 students from its peak enrollment.
While I’m not happy about the drop in funding support by the state these rankings are frankly no different than the best city lists that always come out. They really have no basis in reality IMO.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I didn't realize U of Iowa was that much more expensive, especially for out of state. Their student:staff ratio is better and their female to male much better but everything else is comparable. ISU is 3500 students (12%) larger.

1599219011322.png
1599219034430.png

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Thanks Terry and Kim
You do realize that Branstad was governor in 2011 right lol. And I can guarantee Chet which was a baaaaddddd governor didn’t help build up Iowa State rankings . It’s interesting how people want to blame certain people just because of what party they side with . It’s honestly what’s partly wrong with politics anymore.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Well, the freshman class at ISU is down 4% (1,566 students) from last year. While that helps the student-teacher ratio, it also means that the university receives 4% less tuition.

Haven't seen any UofI numbers yet.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
You do realize that Branstad was governor in 2011 right lol. And I can guarantee Chet which was a baaaaddddd governor didn’t help build up Iowa State rankings . It’s interesting how people want to blame certain people just because of what party they side with . It’s honestly what’s partly wrong with politics anymore.
What are you even saying? I agree that Culver was a bad governor. That doesn’t change which side has decreased funding for education.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Maybe, but Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota Indiana are all larger in our AAU region and outrank us substantially.
They do, but I also don't think those are fair comparisons.

At least when I was in high school, Iowa, Iowa State, and UNI all had the same admissions requirements and as long as you met the minimum standards you were given automatic admission. It looks like it's the same now. That's not the case at those other schools. It's much harder to get into Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio State, and Wisconsin (I don't know about Indiana). They really are flagship universities and their states have significantly more universities to handle all of the other students.

What is Purdue ranked? Because that's who I think we really need to be focused on.

I'm not saying that Iowa State's ranking aren't a cause for concern, they are and we should work to improve them. But the State of Iowa has chosen a very different idea for higher education than Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio State, and Wisconsin have.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Do these rankings have any impact on our status with the AAU? If so we need to get this figured out and if not maybe it's not something to be concerned about.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
What are you even saying? I agree that Culver was a bad governor. That doesn’t change which side has decreased funding for education.

Yeah cutting budgets can not help in that but why would that be the reason in total that our ranking dropped . I wasn’t in school at the time the enrollment was at its highest but from what I heard from interns and family we had in school in that era. Class sizes were far too big and accommodations for that many students on campus did not help in a great experience for the student body and maybe trying to have that many enrolled and growing the student body their might have been a few thousand that were not fit for that level of education or at least without a better transition from high school to college and they couldn’t handle it without having better support from the school since it grew so fast.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Are we at 32,000 this yr?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

They cut millions every year it seems. Just complete idiocy.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12