Jadda Buckley to Forego Redshirt Season

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What part of "no further comment" is so hard to understand?
I understand that terse wording perfectly, and so do you. So did Boxter, as he pointed out in an earlier post. Why wouldn't you have some kind of presser, say tomorrow, celebrating Jadda's career? Other schools have, when players forgo the extra year...

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I understand that terse wording perfectly, and so do you. So did Boxter, as he pointed out in an earlier post. Why wouldn't you have some kind of presser, say tomorrow, celebrating Jadda's career? Other schools have, when players forgo the extra year...

How hard is it to understand that she made a difficult decision and wants to move on. You may think fans are owed answers but in reality they really aren't. If JB, her family and the staff are on the same page that is good enough for me.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

What's with the Debbie Downer focus you and Boxter take towards Fennelly and the athletic dept.? If you knew what was actually happening in their conversations it would be one thing. But as it is you're just offering negative conjecture. Support Jadda's decision and do what she is doing...move on.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Probably RaeAnnah Johnson, PG from Minnesota with help from Durr and maybe Washington and Starks. Everybody in the past that was good for us pretty much started as freshman so that's my expectation for Johnson.

Guessing starting lineup of:

Burkhall
Wise
Carleton
R. Johnson
Durr

I'll take this line up :) May have some bumps along the road early, but Burkhall and Durr improved a LOT this season, so I'm not too down on next year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't think this is a difficult thing to parse out. Fennelly may not be thrilled by it. He probably planned his team next year thinking he didn't have a big need at PG and now he does. However, Jadda is well within her rights to make this decision and it sounds like it was well reasoned. So yes, maybe Bill is not throwing her a parade or anything, but to read into that as Bill being the reason she left is baseless.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
This is a disappointment. I would have enjoyed seeing Jadda play another year. Wish her the best in whatever she does. I don't think we are in as much trouble as many here. I think we will have trouble perhaps making the tourney, but I don't think we will go down much talent-wise.

She was a great cyclone.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What's with the Debbie Downer focus you and Boxter take towards Fennelly and the athletic dept.? If you knew what was actually happening in their conversations it would be one thing. But as it is you're just offering negative conjecture. Support Jadda's decision and do what she is doing...move on.
I get it - you support Fennelly at every turn - including personally attacking a student-athlete who dared to choose path away from him: Bryanna Fernstrom. Let the rest of us who don't deify Fennelly post our thoughts too. Resist the urge to be such a control freak.
Jadda Buckley was a great player for us, and there nothing but a terse press release acknowledging her career. Yeah, that raises questions.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I am sure coaching staff knew she was going to forego her 5th year for awhile now. Glad she stuck around for 4 years and represented our school the right way.

Good luck to her!

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
It is just frustrating as it seems that this program can't get over the hump and we are always looking to the season after next due to a variety of attrition issues. Having Jadda back next year would have let a lot of the new talented players really develop with seasoned leadership and give this team an edge to be really competitive next year. Cannot blame Jadda for making a justifiable personal decision, for a situation that has been a systemic problem of this program for a while for a now.

2017 class is a difference maker according to staff. If Jadda doesn't want to wear the uniform anymore, let someone else who does.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Few people understand the grind and commitment it takes to be a Division 1 athlete at a power 5 institution. IMO, its like a 60 hour a week job 24/7/365 for 4-5-6 years depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
There are quite a few others around the country who are either forgoing their final season or transferring out. TCU is in the same boat as ISU. Their PG AJ Alix is not coming back for her final year.

Mercedes Brooks at KSU (highly talented freshman) is transferring out. Somebodys going to pick up a good player there

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I get it - you support Fennelly at every turn - including personally attacking a student-athlete who dared to choose path away from him: Bryanna Fernstrom. Let the rest of us who don't deify Fennelly post our thoughts too. Resist the urge to be such a control freak.
Jadda Buckley was a great player for us, and there nothing but a terse press release acknowledging her career. Yeah, that raises questions.
You obviously don't pay attention to what I've said. Personally attacking Fernstrom? When did he or I do that? He didn't send her flowers for abandoning the program in midseason. Would you? Especially when tampering was evident? I have no desire to talk about her as it's a dead issue. Ive had insights as to what was happening in the program and disagreed with Fen's treatment of Jess Schroll (one of my favorite players). I also know some of the amazing things he has done in support of players. Remember some of you blasting him because Durr wasn't playing earlier this year? You had no clue what was happening, but blame Fennelly you did. So, why did she turn into one of the critical pieces of the team's success? Blaming him for Jadda's leaving just because you want to keep blaming him for everything bad is rediculous. He's no saint, but what you are doing isn't a contribution to this board.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Everybody think back To their college days. How many were ready to gen done when they were in their last semester. I know I was burnt out of school then it sound s like this is the case of Jadda. From what I've heard' several things factored into this, not one. That's usually means they are just ready to move on. It wasn't an overnights decisio N. So let's thank jadda, wish her well, and turn our attention to the players we have next year

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Everybody think back To their college days. How many were ready to gen done when they were in their last semester. I know I was burnt out of school then it sound s like this is the case of Jadda. From what I've heard' several things factored into this, not one. That's usually means they are just ready to move on. It wasn't an overnights decisio N. So let's thank jadda, wish her well, and turn our attention to the players we have next year

Too true, but not too many get done at ISU in 4 years for their undergrad :)

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
You obviously don't pay attention to what I've said. Personally attacking Fernstrom? When did he or I do that? He didn't send her flowers for abandoning the program in midseason. Would you? Especially when tampering was evident? I have no desire to talk about her as it's a dead issue. Ive had insights as to what was happening in the program and disagreed with Fen's treatment of Jess Schroll (one of my favorite players). I also know some of the amazing things he has done in support of players. Remember some of you blasting him because Durr wasn't playing earlier this year? You had no clue what was happening, but blame Fennelly you did. So, why did she turn into one of the critical pieces of the team's success? Blaming him for Jadda's leaving just because you want to keep blaming him for everything bad is rediculous. He's no saint, but what you are doing isn't a contribution to this board.
To clarify things for you:
1. There is no post from me blasting Fennelly for not playing Emily Durr. Don't make stuff up.
2. I don't know why Jadda is leaving - I'm criticizing Fennelly and his staff for not celebrating her 4 year career as a Cyclone, all because she didn't stay for her last year. It's petty.
3. Regarding your repeated claim that "tampering was evident" with Fernstrom: that's a serious charge, where's the proof? Otherwise, don't make stuff up.
4. The main point of my preceding post: you choose to back Bill at every turn - I and others are not that way. Disagree with a point of view fine, but they are just as good as yours.

• Funny
Reactions: kcdc4isu

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
2. I don't know why Jadda is leaving - I'm criticizing Fennelly and his staff for not celebrating her 4 year career as a Cyclone, all because she didn't stay for her last year. It's petty.

It is just as likely that JB asked them not to so that she would not have to answer all of the questions about her decision. Every article I have seen about her decision has stated that she declined requests for an interview to discuss this. If this was made public before the end of the year she would have had to answer the questions in the normal media availability and it appears she did not want to deal with that.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It is just as likely that JB asked them not to so that she would not have to answer all of the questions about her decision. Every article I have seen about her decision has stated that she declined requests for an interview to discuss this. If this was made public before the end of the year she would have had to answer the questions in the normal media availability and it appears she did not want to deal with that.

Perhaps. Or it's a Catch-22 situation. Most real ISU WBB fans I know would be gracious, simply wanting to know her plans. The less anyone says (like for many issues) the more talk there is about possible reasons. It's just the way people are.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Perhaps. Or it's a Catch-22 situation. Most real ISU WBB fans I know would be gracious, simply wanting to know her plans. The less anyone says (like for many issues) the more talk there is about possible reasons. It's just the way people are.

Don't think she wanted to address the media and be forced to answer questions she didn't want to. She was/is ready to move on. Happens when you play during maybe the most tumultuous time for women's basketball as of late.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Makes sense if she doesn't want to go to grad school.

Perhaps she doesn't want to go to grad school at Iowa State...

I'm sure a number of schools would welcome an experienced point guard grad transfer with one year of eligibility left.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron