Jake Waters joins ISU staff as Grad Assistant

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
A few years too late.

Beat me to it. Jake will find himself in a box when game planning against the Wizard, methinks. But this is a fine man (looks best in the purple bow) who will be a credit to ISU's program. Collin Klein took the QB job at K-State last month. The future is now, I guess.

And BTW, I remember all the poo-poo remarks here when Jake signed. Lanning was the next ISU great. Same for the Iowan QB'ing State now, Jessie Ertz. ISU never bothered to recruit him. Ha.

BtKbb3gCcAAGxe0.jpg

http://www.cyclones.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1157&path=football

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Beat me to it. Jake will find himself in a box when game planning against the Wizard, methinks. But this is a fine man (looks best in the purple bow) who will be a credit to ISU's program. Collin Klein took the QB job at K-State last month. The future is now, I guess.

And BTW, I remember all the poo-poo remarks here when Jake signed. Lanning was the next ISU great. Same for the Iowan QB'ing State now, Jessie Ertz. ISU never bothered to recruit him. Ha.

http://www.cyclones.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1157&path=football

I don't follow recruiting due to it being like the draft and based on potential, but I believe ISU didn't even offer him or pursue all that well.

Coach Snyder gets too much gruff for being that good at seeing what he can do with someone, and then having them perform.

CPR....well....

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Coach Snyder has said Jake is the best pure passer he's ever coached. And ISU wasn't the only school who missed on him. Is Hurky lurking?

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Del Miller has retired as QB coach and co-offensive coordinator at Kansas State. Del is an Iowa native, ex Hayden Fry assistant and is the guy that has recruited Iowa for Kansas State for many, many years. Miller was the first assistant Snyder hired at Kansas State back when he took the job in the Middle Ages.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I don't like the kid or his reaction after beating us at home his last year? WTF, Cambell? He made a public spectacle out of himself, IMO. His quotes, as well as his dad's were over the top anti-ISU. Should have let him alone.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyFy

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
The previous staff had a disastrous track record with qb development. Not a reach to say there's a good chance Waters would have never been the same type of impact player he was at K-State IMO.

Agree 100 percent. Hell, Lanning could have been just as good or better if he played in Bill Snyder's offense. He loves those kinds of QBs.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
This is a great move by ISU.

Jake is a smart kid, and this could help us with a few IWCC recruits as Jake and Strohmeier are close.

Also like that we brought in the defensive guy from St. Louis as we have a lot of recruiting targets from there.

Our coaches are no dummies.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Didn't have room for a JUCO when Jake was available. There were probably quite a few QBs that we could have gone after, but you only have room for so many on roster.

Don't fault rhoads for not going after him, fault him for his poor track record on the QBs he DID bring in. Not to individually blame the QBs that we had, but we needed better production out of that position while he was here, no question about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyValley

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Didn't have room for a JUCO when Jake was available. There were probably quite a few QBs that we could have gone after, but you only have room for so many on roster.

Don't fault rhoads for not going after him, fault him for his poor track record on the QBs he DID bring in. Not to individually blame the QBs that we had, but we needed better production out of that position while he was here, no question about it.

Considering one of our QB's at the time was probably the starting Mike linebacker un-be-known to many, I think that still reflects poorly on Rhoads.