Jelani Hamilton enters portal

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You'd rather get rid of Swanson and Nico instead of Morel. You'd also rather waste 25 million becuase you dont like Busch's defesne. To me thats more idiotic than anyting I've posted here.
And, or why split hairs? No need to be accurate.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Some fans choose to be miserable. I've never understood it. Likely angry about something else in their life.
Pretty sure he is a Hawk fan that masks as an iowa state fan by using “we” when talking about Iowa state. I am actually confident he’s slipped up in some threads and exposed it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't know, Gunner.

Eli King really sucked. Big miss there.

Definitely the reason they ONLY made the SWEET SIXTEEN last year for only the tenth time in school history.

:jimlad:

Isn't it only 7 Sweet Sixteens?

Either way it's still pretty rare and he's the only coach to take ISU to two Sweet Sixteens and had arguably the best team in 20+ years this past season.

But let's get on the struggle bus about a recruit not working out that was also recruited by other good programs.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Isn't it only 7 Sweet Sixteens?

Either way it's still pretty rare and he's the only coach to take ISU to two Sweet Sixteens and had arguably the best team in 20+ years this past season.

But let's get on the struggle bus about a recruit not working out that was also recruited by other good programs.

It is. I counted wrong in Wikipedia.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think we may start seeing guys outside the top 50 go places that they can not only start but be a primary scorer. Sitting on the bench at a power conference school basically wastes a year.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
I think we may start seeing guys outside the top 50 go places that they can not only start but be a primary scorer. Sitting on the bench at a power conference school basically wastes a year.
Definitely will be interesting to see the chess game recruits will play to ultimately receive an NIL bag.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
So Kaden Fish, a freshman, who was hurt and took a medical red shirt and will be back next season is a total bust? Hmmm wonder why the coaches, who have seen him practice, asked him to come back
Have no clue. I am here to be enlightend. No dissing you, btw, just commenting.

I like some Fish.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't think there is any debate that he didn't contribute to our team directly on the floor. I think most of us had higher hopes that he would get a chance to contribute at some point. But the new reality of college basketball is that some freshman will hit and some will not, especially at power 6 schools. Does that mean we should stop recruiting freshmen entirely? Is the staff somehow incompetent for having recruited him? We have 13 scholarships to fill and there are worse things to do with those last scholarships than find a freshman with potential and see how he responds to coaching. If it does not work out quickly, him transferring out and opening a spot for a transfer or another freshman that might catch on quicker could be the best outcome.

As far as transferring down a level, to me, that is probably a smart move to get playing time and show what he can do. I think any high schooler getting recruited or really any young player needs to weigh how much they value being part of a high level team with perhaps a smaller role, versus having a bigger role down a level. Players that excel at a lower level can transfer up for bigger pay days after a year or two. Players that sit on the bench at Power 6 schools might get more $$ in year 1 as a freshman than they would at a lower level, but playing time and success on the floor is the best way to increase their value. Most kids think they can probably carve out a role on a Power 6 team right away. In reality, fewer freshman end up making that work.

To me, why waste energy being appalled or shocked that any freshman doesn't pan out? That's like being in sales and being disappointed that every call or appointment doesn't end in a sale. It is a numbers game and you just can't win them all. If we consistently bring in high level talent, the cream will rise to the top and we will have a great chance to be successful.
I me me mine.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
How do you know that TJ didn't want to keep Jelani here, but Jelani just wanted to play more minutes? There are only so many minutes to hand out, is TJ just supposed to play Jelani more minutes in order to keep him happy and stay at ISU, and sit guys like Gilbert?

TJ sits down with everyone on the team after the season and tells them the honest truth about where they are at. And due to the fact that this team is loaded, he probably had to tell Jelani that he'll get 5 mins a game tops next year here at ISU. Doesn't mean Jelani is a bust, just means he happens to be on a loaded team with not enough minutes to go around.

If Jelani is happy with hardly playing at all this season, I'm sure he could have stayed, and only got in at the very end of blowout games.... but who wants to do that? Also... is TJ not supposed to go out every year and try to bring in the best players he possibly can... or is it his job to not recruit the best players he can so that Jelani can play and not be considered a "bust" by some fans that don't get it?
True