Jerome Tang's sideline antics are just as annoying as Bruce Weber's.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Point of emphasis is fine, and is long overdue, but it was absurd to stop an ISU possession for that without calling a T. The nosebleed section was unimpressed.
It was genius on his part, actually. The refs aren't going to give ISU free point opportunities via a technical foul so he drew the warning. But more importantly, as the tv announcers quickly mentioned, his warning also drew the TV timeout.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Point of emphasis is fine, and is long overdue, but it was absurd to stop an ISU possession for that without calling a T. The nosebleed section was unimpressed.
Exactly.....he knew EXACTLY what he was doing, he was hoping to get the warning and play stopped. The clock had just gone under the "media time out" mark...he got a free one.
He gave the official a thumbs up as soon as he called.
Gotta hand it to him there.....but he's still a dum ass

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Exactly.....he knew EXACTLY what he was doing, he was hoping to get the warning and play stopped. The clock had just gone under the "media time out" mark...he got a free one.
He gave the official a thumbs up as soon as he called.
Gotta hand it to him there.....but he's still a dum ass
Great coach craft for sure. I'll take the player development by TJ...

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I prefer Huggins style sitting on a stool with his arms folded looking completely bored. Coaches like Tang and Weber that stand as close to the floor as possible and are constantly waving their arms and yelling at their players and the refs are just putting on a show for the fans. The players have enough on their plate to concentrate on without some theatrics from the boss to divert their attention.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Give me Tang any day over Weber, McCaffery, Huggins, 10 years ago Drew, Moser, Self, at least as far as silly antics go.

That said, I've grown accustomed to TJ's approach. Good balance.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Give me Tang any day over Weber, McCaffery, Huggins, 10 years ago Drew, Moser, Self, at least as far as silly antics go.

That said, I've grown accustomed to TJ's approach. Good balance.
I do respect TJs approach on the sidelines but do wish he’d work the refs a little more in those games where the FT differential is enormous.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I do respect TJs approach on the sidelines but do wish he’d work the refs a little more in those games where the FT differential is enormous.
I'm hopeful he will...in the future. It's a respect that's kind of earned IMO, and it might take another season+ yet to get there. I'm trusting his process on it for now.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I'm hopeful he will...in the future. It's a respect that's kind of earned IMO, and it might take another season+ yet to get there. I'm trusting his process on it for now.
Our 4 losses the FT differential is 92-39.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Our 4 losses the FT differential is 92-39.
Part of that is being the team that actually plays tight defense. We've become the WVU we used to hate. We're naturally going to be negative in the FT column playing this way.

We make up for it in turnovers, ideally.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Part of that is being the team that actually plays tight defense. We've become the WVU we used to hate. We're naturally going to be negative in the FT column playing this way.

We make up for it in turnovers, ideally.
I agree with the point about style of play. I would not expect us to have fewer fouls than the other team is most games. But this is not even close. There is no way, for example, that the foul differential in Stillwater should have resulted in 28-12 difference at the line.