Jessica Shepard transferring from Nebraska

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow. Wonder where she's headed. She was #1 forward and #3 overall national recruit in Class of 2015 by ESPN - committed to Yori prior to 9th grade. Freshman of the year in the Big 10. Looks like she could get in better shape, but some school is getting a huge talent...really big time.
There will be a ton of schools after her - I assume Iowa State will be one of them.

Last edited:

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
She's from Fremont, in Eastern Nebraska. ISU is close and with an all-American 6'4" forward we could be playing deep into the tournament. Likely she would sit out a year and next year's frosh will have a year of experience. Would be good for her and ISU

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
1,000 scorer in just two seasons. Would be a big get for us if we are in the running, going to be the top transfer target in the country.

She could have bailed when they fired Yori but stuck with the Huskers when the other kids left, guess that is maybe why their coach is being cool about it now, she gave the Huskers and new coach a try:

Williams, who said she appreciated Shepard’s straight-forward approach during post-season evaluations, plans to assist Shepard in the transfer process.

“Jessica thinks it is in her best interest to leave our program and seek a fresh start at this time,” Williams said in a statement. “We wish her the best and will try to help her through the process, if she needs it.”

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Has tons of ability. When she was is great physical shape she could simply dominate.

I think losing Yori over there was hard on her. Apparently did not mesh with the new staff.

She would have one year left to play, I think. She could definitely help us is she is able to get back to where she was her freshman year.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Has tons of ability. When she was is great physical shape she could simply dominate.

I think losing Yori over there was hard on her. Apparently did not mesh with the new staff.

She would have one year left to play, I think. She could definitely help us is she is able to get back to where she was her freshman year.

She is a sophomore so two years left, sit out one year. Only issue is if she would decide to leave for her final year if she had her degree (like how we got Heather B.) But from what she has done would love to see her here at ISU and it is close to home so family can watch.

Reactions: Cyclonic1

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

She didn't have a bad soph year either - even with the extra lbs. Would be a great get for ISU, or anyone in the country really.
I think it's really time to panic for Husker WBB fans. All they have are guards next year, it appears, for a program already at the bottom of the conference.
So much for canning the "too tough, too mean" coach Yori for the kinder, gentler coach Williams...

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and ISU71

TXHawk

Sep 19, 2011
She's one of the reasons Connie Yori isn't coaching at NU anymore and why Natalie Romeo transferred out. She has to improve her attitude first, learn how to be a good teammate, then her conditioning before I'd want her at a program I follow.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
She's one of the reasons Connie Yori isn't coaching at NU anymore and why Natalie Romeo transferred out. She has to improve her attitude first, learn how to be a good teammate, then her conditioning before I'd want her at a program I follow.

Have to agree with you on this. IMO, an attitude adjustment may be necessary. Don't know her or the family personally. But, been around enuf AAU basketball where they have been present and have seen things that give me a little pause about pursuing her absent an adjustment in how she/they approach the game from the team first standpoint.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Would need to employ the Hoiberg transfer screening method. :) Other than the notable exception of Dejean-Jones pretty much all of them bought in and where good teammates and much has been made of the "screening" and evaluations of factors outside of basketball skills. It's not like the stuff going on in Huskerland has been occurring in a vacuum and am sure our admin and coaching staff have more details then we do. Hell, all they have to do is give Connie a call and ask her, old school coach to old school coach. Anyway, we are a good geographic location and assume she's wants to play in the NCAA and we pretty much do that every year. Whether we like her or whether Bill/Billy are her cup of tea, who knows.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Would need to employee the Hoiberg transfer screening method. :) Other than the notable exception of Dejean-Jones pretty much all of them bought in and where good teammates and much has been made of the "screening" and evaluations of factors outside of basketball skills. It's not like the stuff going on in Huskerland has been occurring in a vacuum and am sure our admin and coaching staff have more details then we do. Hell, all they have to do is give Connie a call and ask her, old school coach to old school coach. Anyway, we are a good geographic location and assume she's wants to play in the NCAA and we pretty much do that every year. Whether we like her or whether Bill/Billy are her cup of tea, who knows.
Since my OP, I have indeed heard things from Nebraska AAU folks about Shepard - that would make me revise my words that she would be a "great get for anyone."
Friction between her and Yori, her work ethic, attitude, etc. I'm sure that with her talent that schools would take a chance on her - whether ISU would be in the mix, don't know.

Reactions: JerseyGirl

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I have head rumblings that she wants to transfer to Uconn to be with some of her USA basketball friends. She may not be Geno material though if she doesn't like tough workouts.

• Creative
Reactions: casey1973

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
The article in the Lincoln newspaper indicated..."after her post season evaluation"....she decided to leave. The replies to the article were telling, Huskers fans were not kind to her or the coach. The team banquet is this Sunday night....

TXHawk

Sep 19, 2011
I highly doubt Geno would consider her at UCONN. After they played in Lincoln this year in his post-game presser he said a fan base like this deserves their top players be committed to the team and in top physical shape (obvious ref to Shepard.) Geno doesn't play games or deal with player attitudes, he tells them to find another school if they don't do things his way.