Jiri Hubalek and ISU will be cleared of all wrongdoing

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Jiri Hubalek and ISU will be cleared of all wrongdoing
Jeremy
CycloneFanatic.com
5/2/2006

I had stated that I would refrain from posting rumors or gossip on the situation but I have been able to confirm a few tidbits of information regarding Hubalek and the situation at hand.
  • There were no illegal or improper activities surrounding Jiri Hubalek and bringing him to Iowa State to play basketball.
  • There were no transactions or favors made by any donor or employee of Iowa State to Jiri at any time in the past.
  • The internal investigation was called for to help clear anything that could have caused a formal NCAA investigation in the future. Iowa State wanted to make sure that it's recent momentum gained by the new coaching staff wasn't brought to a halt by something that would be proven to be nothing.
  • Iowa State will listen to any suggestions brought forth by the investigative committee. There are no penalties expected for either Jiri or Iowa State.
  • Jiri Hubalek plans to play at Iowa State in the fall with no suspension or cloud of suspicion over him or the program.
The official investigation will likely take 3-4 weeks to progress. I have been told by several people with first hand knowledge of the situation that nothing will be found to have happened between ISU, donors, or players in this matter.

UPDATE:
One contact has stated that with the latest issue surrounding the recent coaching staff and bringing in a recruit, Tennessee has pulled it's offer for Damon Archibald to be an assistant coach under Bruce Pearl.

bgclone

Apr 11, 2006
that's all great but why did ISU release that they were even looking into it? if this whole investigation lasted a couple of days then I really don't think they should have said anything officially...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
All I have to say is this is just more leftover stink from the Wayne Morgan era. Pollard is looking more justified than ever lately in firing WM after all the fallout that game with it. If it means a couple "down" years to get this program back to the elite of the Big 12 I'm fine with that because you know that Greg McDermott is going to run this program cleanly and install a system where the on-court product is something the fans will be happy with, even in a tough loss.

Clone Fan

Mar 27, 2006
Ames, IA
I completely agree. There was no reason to make an official announcement if the investigation lasted 2 days. Why could they not have left this behind closed doors? And to make matters worse, it looks like it cost Damon a job.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Oh yeah, and how about Wayne's quote in the paper about they shouldn't be asking him questions about this. Wayne, you were the coach when the alleged issues (that sound like that is all this is is alleged) were happening. Why wouldn't they want to ask you about it? Anything that happened under his tenure is fair game to ask about and point the blame if anything happened.

Stuff like this is why I think WM may have a tough time finding a new job if there is lingering issues on his staff's recruiting practices and his character. I'm pretty sure no major D1 school is going to hand over the head coach reigns to him anytime soon so I hope he's content with being an assistant again.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
[quote1146617462=Clone Fan]
I completely agree. There was no reason to make an official announcement if the investigation lasted 2 days. Why could they not have left this behind closed doors? And to make matters worse, it looks like it cost Damon a job.
[/quote1146617462]

I liked Damon when he was here and in fact I thought he was more of a coach than Wayne. But let's face it, the D1 scheduling thing was mostly his doing and even though nothing illegal has come out of that (yet at least) it's still shady. Then this comes out and it doesn't look well on the former staff either.

I wish Damon the best of luck but the longer WM has been gone from ISU, the more stink we find out about what bad shape the program was in and the assistants will unfortunately have to answer to some of that too.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
This was released in a press release because if ISU didn't say anything and people found out that they hired an investigator, people would be spreading rumors like wildfire. ISU isn't wanting to hide anything, they want people to know that there is a new sherriff in town and that nothing improper will be allowed.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Looks like another instance of a bad light being shed on an innocent situation, and this time it looks like it may have caused Archibald a job. Sad, very sad.

cykadelic

Apr 10, 2006
>>>>One contact has stated that with the latest issue surrounding the recent coaching staff and bringing in a recruit, Tennessee has pulled it's offer for Damon Archibald to be an assistant coach under Bruce Pearl. >>>>

Jeremy. what is this all about? What recruit?

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
"With the latest news of the Hubalek issue coming to light, Tennessee has apparently dropped it's interest in former ISU assistant coach Damon Archibald, according to one contact. Archibald was set to take over as an assistant under Bruce Pearl according to numerous sources."

I don't understand why this is the case if ISU wasn't involved in the aleged improprioties with Hubalek.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
cykadelic-it's regarding Hubalek when he was a recruit.

clonefan65-it's the mere image of DA being involved in the D1 situation and then possibly something looking bad regarding Hubalek. Remember that TN wouldn't know all the details about the Hubalek issue, just that it could lead to something, although it won't.