Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
58b5c3ee24acd.image.jpg

Reactions: CYCLNST8

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I like the idea of him at MLB. Lanning is an incharge guy, and I believe the MLB makes the calls for the LBers. He is also tough as they come.

I just hope that they will work on refining the Joeldozer role also, because he showed that he is pretty darn good at get 1-2 yards when ISU needs it. Also, he got through the gap a lot of times and had huge plays.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
CMC and Veidt know what they are doing..the advantage Joel had is he started at a QB so he knows how to read the QB..This staff wouldn't say he's the top MLB right now if he truly weren't.. I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised by this move..

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I am. First steps for Mikes are important. Reading an offensive lineman is not the same as reading a defense. He isnt entirely behind the 8 ball because of his QB training, but he doesnt have 4 years of learning to read offenses heading into his 5th year.

This part concerns me. Joel is faster than he is quick. Good Linebackers have great reaction time and play like they're shot out of a cannon. Joel is fast, but he isn't the most explosive. Seems like a short yardage LB vs the "Heavy set"

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
How many starting linebackers can say they've rushed for 5 TDs (was it 6) in a game and have thrown for 200+ yards in others?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Qb are usually the best athletes on the team. Doesn't surprise me a bit. We also don't have much competition there. So there is that.

cyclone19702

Sep 4, 2015
I understand that Lanning is a great athlete, but if this does not tell you about how bad our linebackers are I don't know what will. Lanning has not taken a rep at linebacker for four years and can just come in and start. Hopefully his athleticism makes up for the lack of experience.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBlitz

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
My first thought when seeing this was actually not out of total concern of him having the ability to be really good considering playing both ways in high school but of being perplexed as to why other guys at that position are already 2nd place. Then again .....Stevie Johnson took one foot on the field and became a starter at linebacker....so this im not concerned about as much as some others. I was more concerned when Luke Knott was a starting big 12 linebacker than I am about this.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't see the issue of Lanning being our #1 Mike.

If a true freshman recruit comes on campus this fall and news that an 18/19 year old kid, 3 months removed from HS was our starting Mike- most fans would be excited.

Lanning is a 5th year senior who has spent hundreds of hours in the ISU weightr oom. He has competed in as many Big12 snaps as any other player on our roster than KCM and Lazard. I'd much rather Lanning pushing to be a starting LB vs. UNI than a kid still walking HS halls.