Joel Lanning is the Mike Linebacker

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Qb are usually the best athletes on the team. Doesn't surprise me a bit. We also don't have much competition there. So there is that.
Joel has a great year while the staff uses all this publicity on the QB going to mlb change as a recruiting tool and get two top rated lbs in next years class.:cool:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I have little doubt that this is the right move. Think about it.

Our teams two best linebackers are Willie Harvey (6' 225) and Reggan Northrup (6'1 2015) (those are from last years rosters, they're likely bigger now). Both of them play WLB.

The SAM LB is seldom used in this defense and will be played by two young guys (McMillen and Spears).

The MLB spot basically only had a RS Fr and walk-ons on the depth chart, since Brian Mills (likely would have been a MLB contributor again in 2017) left the team.

Joel is not the best QB, would not be the best RB, and would be behind two VERY promising young TE and two great blockers at 'H-back'. Where else are you going to put him?

He's pound for pound one of the best athletes/football players on the team, why not try him at a position of need?

Great move that can only help you.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think this has a lot to say about how confident they are in Zeb at being the back up QB. Joel will be very good at LB. Honestly, that is the position where I thought he was originally recruited for. Still think you see him on offense in short yardage situations also!

I don't think he was recruited as a LB. In fact, I'm pretty sure that being able to play QB was a big part of why he came here. And, he just said that the opportunity still to play some at QB was part of what made him okay with moving to LB.

Bottom line. This must mean that Park and Noland are looking really good at QB.

Reactions: k123

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I understand that Lanning is a great athlete, but if this does not tell you about how bad our linebackers are I don't know what will. Lanning has not taken a rep at linebacker for four years and can just come in and start. Hopefully his athleticism makes up for the lack of experience.
Last season's defense told me how bad the LB Corp was. I didn't need JL to become the starter to know our LB's needed help.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Joel has a great year while the staff uses all this publicity on the QB going to mlb change as a recruiting tool and get two top rated lbs in next years class.:cool:
And this takes away the spot light from park. I see this as a win-win

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Great news!!..Cambell must be happy with our QB situation and depth. Lanning is a stud athlete and I'm glad we're not wasting him as a back up QB. Big, fast, mature, and I'm not worried about him picking up the lb schemes if he was able to play QB. Good move by Cambell. The previous staff would have wasted him..

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
The mike linebacker makes the defensive calls. I'm most concerned with that and his anticipation of run gaps. He may end up having a great year but I'll be shocked if there isn't a steep learning curve early on, especially against teams like Iowa that run an offense he isn't familiar with.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Our linebackers must suck if a guy who has only been playing QB for 3 years can beat them out

I guess that's one way to look at it. Still another way to look at it is that it's great that a kid is willing to embrace a position switch this late in his career and the coaches are putting a priority on finding ways to get their best football players on the field one way or another. Ultimately, it's probably a little bit of both. They have a thin LB group, and Lanning has enough athleticism and experience with the college game to make the switch and help them out right away. It is what it is. I'm glad they're doing what they can to shore up a weakness and I'm excited to see what he can do as a jack of all trades for them next fall. He's too good to be standing on the sidelines.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I think this has to say something good about our QB situation as well. Backup to Park must be decent because you don't go into Big XII season planning for your QB to be available every snap.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My first thought when seeing this was actually not out of total concern of him having the ability to be really good considering playing both ways in high school but of being perplexed as to why other guys at that position are already 2nd place. Then again .....Stevie Johnson took one foot on the field and became a starter at linebacker....so this im not concerned about as much as some others. I was more concerned when Luke Knott was a starting big 12 linebacker than I am about this.
I remember Stevie being a solid contributor but I don't recall him being a starter.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
One thing that nobody has mentioned is that CMC said last year that Sutton would have probably seen the field as a true freshman if he didn't break his hand...he is now behind lanning as of now.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
One thing that nobody has mentioned is that CMC said last year that Sutton would have probably seen the field as a true freshman if he didn't break his hand...he is now behind lanning as of now.
I think he will be the starter when it gets closer to conference play. Kinda like Morris's first year at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: CyFy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Honestly most of the negative people on here are making much a-do about nothing. This is possibly the best outcome we could have dreamed of. What about this is negative?

Secondly, has anyone seen how big Zeb is? Dudes a tree.