Joel Lanning is the Mike Linebacker

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Perhaps since he's a QB, he's got good recognition in a "inverted" sort of way. Or perhaps hes knows the ISU offense well enough to give him a head start on things. I have no F'n clue what this means, and it's very confusing.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
. . . I have no F'n clue what this means, and it's very confusing.

This is why I'm willing to trust the coaches, they know far (far, far more) than I do (and far more than you iSu partisans know, too). It would be embarrassing, and humiliating, for me to criticize personnel decisions the coaches make and substitute my own view because I am not a professional college football coach.

But, humans gonna be human, humans gonna criticize even if they don't know much about what they're criticizing.

• Agree
Reactions: singsing

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
This is why I'm willing to trust the coaches, they know far (far, far more) than I do (and far more than you iSu partisans know, too). It would be embarrassing, and humiliating, for me to criticize personnel decisions the coaches make and substitute my own view because I am not a professional college football coach.

But, humans gonna be human, humans gonna criticize even if they don't know much about what they're criticizing.

The only hesitation I have is that I thought Joel was a great option at QB situationally...but it shouldn't shock any of us that he'd switch to mike. He was recruited as one, after all. I know he's able to be the QB of the defense, now it sounds like he's ready and willing too. I hope he makes Campbell look like a genius.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Well Im sure this just lit a fire under Sutton or whoever else that is currently second string. Plus Joel can always still be used situationally as a QB or in an emergency. This is a great move, last I checked its only the spring. its not like we have a game Saturday. People need to R-E-L-A-X.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well Im sure this just lit a fire under Sutton or whoever else that is currently second string. Plus Joel can always still be used situationally as a QB or in an emergency. This is a great move, last I checked its only the spring. its not like we have a game Saturday. People need to R-E-L-A-X.
This isn't even directed at me but I find it ridiculous when people post it. Someone posts a differing view and they are told to relax. The majority of the time the recipient of this advice isn't even worked up. It is just stupidly condescending.

/rant

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It'll be interesting to see him play there during the spring game. Makes you wonder about Sutton. He's got the ability to be one of the better LB's we've had in awhile just like Harvey does... but he's also only a freshman and sometimes it takes players a few years and some experience to click.

Hopefully it just means Lanning is a baller.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
This isn't even directed at me but I find it ridiculous when people post it. Someone posts a differing view and they are told to relax. The majority of the time the recipient of this advice isn't even worked up. It is just stupidly condescending.

/rant

R-E-L-A-X

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
I think everyone is reading into the #1 position too much.

Firstly, the reason you move him over is to get him playing time. You don't move him from backup QB to backup LB. You switch him with the assumption that he could be a main contributor from day 1.

Secondly, if you want the guy to learn a new position in this short amount of time, you can't ease him in like a freshman. You throw him into the starter spot and hope he learns quickly. At this point I doubt he is actually better than Sutton, and the two will likely split snaps throughout the year.

I'm guessing it was in the plan from the beginning for him to be the "starter" no matter what. At the very least it is a great story that will attract tons of attention and fan support. Hope it all works out for the best!

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I think this is a conflict needing settled. G string mud wrestling for these two.:cool:

Two dudes mud wrestling in G-strings?
2eb5491a1c310f792843c9162cc0c093.gif

• Agree
Reactions: CtownCyclone

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Giving a player the starting role if he hasn't earned it? No, that won't create team dissension and damage squad morale.

Last edited:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Giving a player the starting role if he hasn't earned it? No, that won't create team dissent and damage squad morale.

There is no way that CMC will ever put a player on the field who hasn't earned the starting role....dead issue!

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We're going to have a team full of quarterbacks... Between Park and Noland taking the short yardage QB plays, Joel at LB, Montgomery at RB, Deshaunte Jones at WR... All these guys were quarterbacks at one time.

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Love this bump. I remember this thread...and fairly, most said "uh oh, our LBs must not be good if he can walk in and start"

Such a cool story. CMC, great eye for talent...Joel, way to be the ultimate team player..SO glad he is getting some deserved recognition. He may make some $$$ :)