NBA: Jordan vs Lebron

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The best thing about this debate is that I can never, ever lose the argument! I can never win but it is entertaining for some odd reason.

In a strange twist, I think Lebron would have been better in the Jordan area when physical play was not only allowed but encouraged and Michael excelling to even greater heights in today's environment with no hand checking or body contact.

In a true debate, I think Jordan era NBA players had a lot more character than today's players (social media and constant online judgement probably has a lot to do with it). Where have all the great nicknames disappeared:

Julius "Dr. J" Erving
Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Daryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins (from Lovetron)
Robert "The Chief" Parish
Gary "The Glove" Payton
Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon
Karl "The Mailman" Malone
Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson

And perhaps the most under rated player of all-time: Billy "The Whopper" Paultz. Without a doubt, the Whopper would have dominated every food court in the NBA today!
I have thought about the nickname thing as well. Used to give players some great names. Even after that era you had Iverson as "The Answer" and Pierce as "The Truth" etc. I guess we do have The Joker right now, that is a good one. Barkley as the Round Mound of Rebound is a classic.

Reactions: trScott

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I have thought about the nickname thing as well. Used to give players some great names. Even after that era you had Iverson as "The Answer" and Pierce as "The Truth" etc. I guess we do have The Joker right now, that is a good one. Barkley as the Round Mound of Rebound is a classic.
We have the Minivan now!

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

LOL. Why 25 and not 30? Because it would be 9-2 Jordan... including 7 straight. That's why. As a matter of fact, had Jordan not left to play baseball, it would have been 12 straight and 12-2.

LeBron does have a point in that he has averaged 2.1 more assists per game, but 2 assists per day difference doesn't exactly make him "pass first" compared to Jordan. In addition, in the old NBA, LeBron would have been shooting a whole lot fewer free throws. And with the physicality at the time, it's safe to assume he would have shot a lower percentage from the field as well.

Great player, but not MJ great.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy and Gonzo

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
This thread didn’t go any better than the last hundred times it existed.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
LOL. Why 25 and not 30? Because it would be 9-2 Jordan... including 7 straight. That's why. As a matter of fact, had Jordan not left to play baseball, it would have been 12 straight and 12-2.

LeBron does have a point in that he has averaged 2.1 more assists per game, but 2 assists per day difference doesn't exactly make him "pass first" compared to Jordan. In addition, in the old NBA, LeBron would have been shooting a whole lot fewer free throws. And with the physicality at the time, it's safe to assume he would have shot a lower percentage from the field as well.

Great player, but not MJ great.

Take into account that MJ went to college for three years too. Averaged 28 rookie year, and was injured 2nd season.

Reactions: ATCy