Just a general question about President Leath

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Question, guys ... I have noticed on social media and here for the most part that it appears like the overwhelming reaction to Leath moving on is happiness ...

Is this just about the plane thing? VEISHIA? What's the biggest reason for this in your opinion?

I never really got to know him. I tried but he never seemed interested, which is fine. Just curious as to how fans/alums feel about this.

Also, what are you hoping for from here?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think it is a loss for Iowa State. Compare Iowa State's position today to 2012. It has grown into the state's most prominent school by enrollment. Fundraising is excellent. Jack Trice was bowled in. New buildings have gone up across campus. Tuition is still low relative to peers. ISU was one of the few schools in the country to add the number of faculty members that it did a few years back. For one year, I think Iowa State added the most faculty members of any power conference school.

I understand why people are glad that he is leaving. Bubu and VEISHEA were very visible examples that some disagreed with. "Planegate" was handled poorly regardless of whether you think it is overblown. But overall Leath was a good president. We could do far, far worse. I hope that we do not with his replacement, but I am not very confident after the BOR's hiring of Harreld at UI.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If he really was a bad president I doubt Auburn would be sweeping him away from us.

I get the feeling he wasn't bad at his overall job, but he wasn't particularly a nice guy.

• Agree
Reactions: IAStubborn

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Question, guys ... I have noticed on social media and here for the most part that it appears like the overwhelming reaction to Leath moving on is happiness ...

Is this just about the plane thing? VEISHIA? What's the biggest reason for this in your opinion?

I never really got to know him. I tried but he never seemed interested, which is fine. Just curious as to how fans/alums feel about this.

Also, what are you hoping for from here?

your killing me smalls.

2nd post is pretty much my thought as well. Although I feel like he tried to involve himself too much in athletics at times so maybe it's a wash.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
From an ISU student perspective (which I was from 2011-2015) the general dislike of him is almost entirely due to VEISHEA. Whenever Leath was talked about it was always with the connotation of "the ***-hole who cancelled VEISHEA".

Reactions: isufbcurt

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
I hope our next president is athletically like-minded. Leath did great things for ISU athletics. I think it was during his opening press conference that he talked about not making any excuses anymore as to why ISU couldn't be elite athletically. During his tenure here I think he more than upheld that sentiment. I'll tell you one thing: we could have done a whole lot worse.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Coming from the Ag side of me, he was good for the Ag college. He was a plant pathologist and did a lot of work on Northern Corn Leaf Blight. I know he was an advocate for getting a plant pathology farm established at ISU, but due to some building projects being over budget, well you can figure out were the plant pathology money went to.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I think it is a loss for Iowa State. Compare Iowa State's position today to 2012. It has grown into the state's most prominent school by enrollment. Fundraising is excellent. Jack Trice was bowled in. New buildings have gone up across campus. Tuition is still low relative to peers. ISU was one of the few schools in the country to add the number of faculty members that it did a few years back. For one year, I think Iowa State added the most faculty members of any power conference school.

I understand why people are glad that he is leaving. Bubu and VEISHEA were very visible examples that some disagreed with. "Planegate" was handled poorly regardless of whether you think it is overblown. But overall Leath was a good president. We could do far, far worse. I hope that we do not with his replacement, but I am not very confident after the BOR's hiring of Harreld at UI.

I agree with this. I think #planegate was a DMRegister witch hunt to get at him b/c of their disdain for regents/ Rassetter. It seemed like he did good stuff with growth and research park advancements (that was his niche in NC as well), since those help spin off uni research and have a good feedback loop for grad students, etc.

Re sports, Bubu may not have been guilty but the details of that case kept getting worse, better to move on. My #postyourunpopularopinion is that veisha was overrated anyway. Parade all that was worth keeping. Coach hires were good, apparently he was involved in those. I think ISU is getting too big enrollment wise compared to campus space, so he was planning to slow it down. They need to up standards a bit to keep it good and big.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Wasn't it because of Dr Leath that we went through a full coaching search that led to Prohm being hired? If so, I'm glad he involved himself.

Only if you buy the assumption that JP was going to give it to Otz, which I don't think is 100% true.

Reactions: CyDude16