JVA vs USAVB tournaments?

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
JVA crap.JPG Parents at our last tournament were horrific- They were swearing, making comments to the opposing 15/16 year old players like.....keep doing them doubles setter or keep hitting it long there OH hitter and then finishing off by calling them all the THE B WORD! when they went back to serve. When confronted they challenged the parents who complained to fights out in the parking lot. This was the first JVA sponsored event ever in 4 years of club (favor by our coach). Is this "normal" behavior at JVA events or did we just get lucky enough to be stuck in the middle of the slack jawed mouth breather convention tournament.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
View attachment 54935 Parents at our last tournament were horrific- They were swearing, making comments to the opposing 15/16 year old players like.....keep doing them doubles setter or keep hitting it long there OH hitter and then finishing off by calling them all the THE B WORD! when they went back to serve. When confronted they challenged the parents who complained to fights out in the parking lot. This was the first JVA sponsored event ever in 4 years of club (favor by our coach). Is this "normal" behavior at JVA events or did we just get lucky enough to be stuck in the middle of the slack jawed mouth breather convention tournament.
No idea. I've never even heard of JVA before. All of the tournaments my daughter did (she quit VB last year to concentrate on softball) were USAV, and I never ran into any parents remotely close to what you described.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
View attachment 54935 Parents at our last tournament were horrific- They were swearing, making comments to the opposing 15/16 year old players like.....keep doing them doubles setter or keep hitting it long there OH hitter and then finishing off by calling them all the THE B WORD! when they went back to serve. When confronted they challenged the parents who complained to fights out in the parking lot. This was the first JVA sponsored event ever in 4 years of club (favor by our coach). Is this "normal" behavior at JVA events or did we just get lucky enough to be stuck in the middle of the slack jawed mouth breather convention tournament.

Its parents in general. To tell the extent that some must win, my wife’s brother recruited the best player on my daughters team who happened to also be her best friend and did so by driving a wedge between the girls Then preceded to badmouth my daughters team And make fun of anything they did wrong to guarantee that’s the girl he wanted wouldn’t want to go back. This was fourth or fifth grade.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
That’s horrible. What tournament were you at? Did you say anything to the tournament director?

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
JVA Des Moines Iowa last weekend- Our teams were not involved but I encouraged the parents of the players to file a complaint. I was gobsmacked- There are a lot of issue with JVA and the man who started it that I won't go into here. This the first and last JVA event I will let my daughter attend. One because of this type of behavior that I have never seen at USAVB and two I don't want to give money to the JVA.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
If that kind of thing happened at a USAVB tournament that my team was playing in, heads would roll.

That is why I am absolutely stunned! Never even entered my mind I would ever witness anything like it and haven't in 5 years of USAVB events.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
That’s crazy- my daughter was new to club volleyball this year. I’ll encourage her coach next year to avoid JVA.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
That’s crazy- my daughter was new to club volleyball this year. I’ll encourage her coach next year to avoid JVA.

It should be fun and my daughter lives for volleyball. Good luck in club it is where my daughter is most at home. She loves her HS team but she is literally growing up with some of the girls. I am going to miss these travels and friends we have made in a few short years:(

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
I’ve surprised myself with how much I’ve enjoyed watching her team play (she’s in middle school). I’m hoping she continues all through high school but she’ll probably top out around 5’6” so that may limit her . Assuming your daughter is going to Nationals in Detroit, best of luck to her!

Reactions: Cyfan1965

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I’ve surprised myself with how much I’ve enjoyed watching her team play (she’s in middle school). I’m hoping she continues all through high school but she’ll probably top out around 5’6” so that may limit her . Assuming your daughter is going to Nationals in Detroit, best of luck to her!

Libero U

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
It should be fun and my daughter lives for volleyball. Good luck in club it is where my daughter is most at home. She loves her HS team but she is literally growing up with some of the girls. I am going to miss these travels and friends we have made in a few short years:(

Very true in softball also. DD enjoys her HS team, but her best friends are the ones she plays travel ball with.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron